• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

baby Falla gets a wet introduction to new home

sonoranfans

I planted my 15 gallon Copernicia Fallaensis out a couple weeks ago.  I had had a spear tip section 5" long rot a year ago.  I treated repeatedly with peroxide and daconil fungicide, put it in a full sun all day spot and now it has grown out of it.   So 11(?) days ago I planted it.  I find cuban copernicias in containers to be touchy, a little too much shade and you have some trouble.  The shade spots change in my yard a lot as the sun comes north in summer.  If I dont watch that sun exposure I have had issues with macgroglossa, hospita and now fallaensis in containers.  Might be that they just dont dry out in my shade and high humidity though my macroglossa in the ground is fine, though slow growing in part shade.   Any way this one went into the ground.  It sits 12' from my big 25' fallaensis.  Its a big sunny spot at lkeast 9-10 hrs full sun a day and the soil was rich due to years of drainoff from decomposed top hulch.  The soil was black so I added 3 gallons of perlite to keep it from getting compressed and heavy.  It rained the first day it was planted and has rained 9 of the 11 days since planted with over 15" total rain.

fallaAugY20f24.JPG

• Like 10

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Just planted mine out today.  You inspired me to stop being lazy and go ahead and dig the hole. I will add some landscaping bricks and mulch tomorrow. Yours looks nice and green compared to mine. I think the older fronds on mine lost some color due to transplant shock.

IMG_0485.jpg

• Like 4

The color of these can vary seasonally or after injury.  They tend to turn green after a stress event like a rotted bud tip.  I have seen this behavior with some other bluish palms.  Green palms can phosynthesize (grow) faster all else equal.  Some go more green in shade too, I had seen that with brahea armata and chamaerops cerifera.   My large fallaensis went more greenish after Ian and is now starting to get back to its former blueish waxy color.   Looks like sand there, you really need to top much sand ASAP, nothing dries out faster.

• Like 1

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

That's the plan. And yes there are two ratty-looking, formerly infected spears growing back out for those wondering what those are. I am just planning to let them grow as much as possible before trimming them away. But there are now two healthy spears growing out. I took a lot of advice from @sonoranfans on what to do when it was infected previously and it has seemingly been nursed back to good health. These are resilient, cold hardy palms.