• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Jegs

These are my Phoenix Roebellenii’s. 
This is my first year as a palm enthusiast.

These two were the first palm trees I bought.

I planted them in MiracoGro cactus palm and citrus potting soil mixed with extra sand for better drainage. 

After 3 months I started using liquid palm tree fertilizer (3.6-3-5.1)

I recently swapped to Lesco 8-2-12 +4 slow release fertilizer and fertilized them a week ago.

It seems they are showing a K deficiency now.

Should I add SulPoMag or do I need to give it time for the slow release fertilizer to work to correct the deficiency.

IMG_7901.jpeg

IMG_7900.jpeg

IMG_7899.jpeg

IMG_7898.jpeg

IMG_7912.jpeg

The new growth looks great from what I can see. It is normal for the lower fronds to start to yellow as the palm pushes new growth. The nutrients from older fronds are used to feed the new fronds. I wouldn’t get too aggressive with fertilizer, slow release is much better , IMHO , than liquid. The other thing is that Phoenix Roebilini are solitary palms , often sold in groups , so you have three palms that will compete for available water and nutrients…..in one pot! In that size pot , they will quickly outgrow their home. Harry

You have a combo of mild potassium and magnesium deficiency.  You shouldn’t have lingering yellow fronds.   The old fronds should go from green to yellow to brown very quickly, like in less than a week.  If they don’t, it means the palm doesn’t have enough fuel to power new growth, and is stealing it from the oldest living fronds before it should.  

The older fronds will never get better, but ideally you have to keep them on the palm until brown.  New green growth will have to replace them over time.  I’d probably do a little langbeinite/sul-po-mag, and tons of water.   Be careful though.  There’s less room for error in pots.  

Good news is these grow super fast in terms of number of fronds, but it takes a while to fully visually correct…. Like maybe a year.  

• Like 1

2:1:3 is a good macro ratio for palms. You have a lot of palms growing in not much real estate.

I might add these to try to boost Mn, Mg, and K nutrients

I’m very careful when fertilizing in pots for fear of burning. 

Isn’t there usually a delay in effects of malnourished palms.

I didn’t want to overload them without giving the Controlled release fertilizer time to work to correct the deficiency 

IMG_7938.jpeg

IMG_7937.jpeg

I just performed a soil test on one of my P. Roebellenii’s and it’s showing depleted Nitrogen and Potash.

They were fertilized with Lesco 8-2-12 Control Release on July 28th.

Is it because it’s too hard to get enough fertilizer in those pots without overloading the area and burning the roots?

I made sure the fertilizer was evenly distributed and toiled the soil to about 3-4 inches to get more fertilizer in. 

IMG_7941.jpeg

IMG_7942.jpeg

They are 3 solitary palms forced to artificially cluster and are competing to survive in a small space with limited resources. Often the weaker palm(s) die. Each palm wants its own pot and designated resources so they will never grow nicely together. Whether you decide to separate them is up to you. Maybe someone who knows potted pygmies better than I can give you tips on how to make 3 unhappy solitary palms into 3 separate happy ones.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

I didn't mention this yesterday but I don't recommend black-muck-in-rainbow-bags MiracleGro for anything except mud pies. You need a coarse, loose, free-draining soil supplemented with coco coir or perlite/pumice. Currently, I use Kellogg garden soil from HD but I'm always on the lookout for other options. MiracleGro has a nasty habit of ousting all other brands of bagged soil from garden centers. They're cruising for an anti-trust suit and I hope someone gives them one.

• Like 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

@PalmatierMeg
I noticed that from miracle gro when I started getting into palm trees. After some studying about soil and the inability to find alternatives I started adding perlite and sand to brand new bags of miracle gro to increase drainage and lighten the soil up. 
Im gonna look into that soil you mentioned, thanks!

I use osmocote plus outdoor on mine for years now and it is in great shape

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  18' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia odorata (1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -6F, -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F