• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

New development in neighborhood plants exotic palms

Tracy

This developer really broke the bank buying these Exotic large fan palms.  Based on the rental rates for the apartments, I can see why the budget was so high ;).  A one bedroom starts at a mere $3,745 per month with no on-site parking.   You want a parking spot or a garage?  That is additional. 

Such rare and large palms, I wonder where they sourced them?

20240819_074817.jpg

20240819_074856.jpg

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Rancho Soledad Nursery , not far from there, has large specimen palms . There are other nurseries in that area as well . Those are beauties , and , yes…they were expensive. Harry

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Harry’s Palms said:

Rancho Soledad Nursery , not far from there, has large specimen palms . There are other nurseries in that area as well . Those are beauties , and , yes…they were expensive. Harry

Most are Washingtonia robusta, but a couple are probably hybrid robust filifera based on the trunk girth.

Yes, Rancho Soledad has some nice specimens, although I don't recall any large Washies last time I visited.   There was a little sarcasm about species selection although they at least did nice size.   I would have encouraged them to go with at least a few Howea fostering and belmoreana given how well they do here.

Billy, my neighbor, what do you think as you are a little closer than me to this project. Do you think there were a few more species of palms they could have used?  Maybe a Beccariophoenix Alfredo in one of the larger open spaces?

• Like 1

I actually like the selection. Easy to grow and care for and not quite as thirsty as other genus. Those petiole are quite thin for Washingtonia . Harry

That would explain it. Livistona have thinner petiole. That would make those very old palms. Harry

I also think they are not Washie's but I'm not sure about chinensis. There's not the strong droop of the tips, and the trunks look different.  Maybe some Brahea?

• Upvote 1

Look like Washingtonia to me, Tracy I think you are spot on.

Palm folks are always hoping for different choices in palm flora for new or renovated development, especially these days given the variety and availability of alternatives.

I will say, at least attractive, mature, specimens were used and the landscaping looks appropriate. It could have been so much less. 

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

At that price for a one bedroom, I'd have to consider a tent as an option like all the other folks in CA do. Not very affordable....

• Like 1

Oakley, California

55 Miles E-NE of San Francisco, CA

Solid zone 9, I can expect at least one night in the mid to low twenties every year.

Hot, dry summers. Cold, wet winters.

Before reading the commentary, I thought Brahea edulis, but seeing your foot perched on that fat trunk, I have no clue what they are. They don't look like Washingtonia to me, but maybe it's because they're skinned and very groomed? 

I once had the opportunity to influence a commercial palm decision -- west of the San Diego Int'l Airport along N. Harbor Drive, you can see Howea forsteriana planted in twos and threes in front of some hotel buildings. A person on the project asked me for my recommendation (initially they were going to plant washies and queens). I was amazed when much later I saw they had  actually planted so many Howea palms. Too bad more developers don't take the time to ask.

• Like 2

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

There is an industrial park around the corner from my shop . They have several Kentia Palms. Harry

• Like 1

My first thought was Livistona. However, I don't see any spines on the petioles. Perhaps Brahea but not armata for sure.

I love the sarcasm in this post, Tracy. I laughed out loud the first time I drove by and saw those palms in the ground. I really don't think they could have done much worse as far as species selection unless they went with queens. Also that they brought them in at that size made me laugh even harder. On a more positive note, at least they didn't plant maple trees. Realistically, good ol' Howea forsteriana from the big box store would have been a no brainer for that location. Although if I were in charge of choosing the species, that area would be planted with other palms that love our coastal sun such as Howea belmoreana, Cyphophoenix elegans, Chambeyronia hookeri, etc. Perhaps for fear of it not looking eclectic enough I'd use magic powers and sprinkle in some trunking Dypsis onilahensis "upright form", Dypsis lanceolata, Dypsis lanceolata, with a massive "tribana" as the centerpiece. 😉Which species would you have liked to see showcased at those beloved "low-income" apartments, Tracy?

• Like 1

They had these palms  crowns tied up initially when they brought them in.  It was that appearance which initially lead me to a conclusion of  a robusta × filefera conclusion.   I am second guessing myself after seeing the inflorescence and fruit.   Fruit are larger than robusta and I don't know filifera fruit characteristics.  The petioles are definitely armed.  Photos below. 

They at least stuck with a neighborhood theme with the Aloidendron barberae Billy.  The largest of these Aloidendron in the neighborhood is in the old yard of Horace Anderson, on the corner of Sheridan, on the other side of La Costa from us.  Some of the Aloidendron are pretty close to the buildings given their ultimate size.  I am certain there was pressure from the city on more drought tolerant planting.   Given that constraint, Butias and Braheas, as well as a couple of strategically placed Jubea in the largest space on the Northeast side near the cul de sac off La Costa would have been my recommendations.

I am open to new id's for the palms based on photos below.

20240824_075644.jpg

20240823_062224.jpg

20240823_062243.jpg

20240823_062342.jpg

20240823_062443.jpg

20240823_062448.jpg

20240823_064250.jpg

• Like 1

Is the tomentum on the petioles characteristic of Washingtonia?

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

1 hour ago, Kim said:

Is the tomentum on the petioles characteristic of Washingtonia?

The tomentum appears mostly on the base of the inflorescens on these while the petioles have minimal amounts as I look at the photos Kim.  In that these were heavily pruned before planting it is also difficult to assess the tips of the blades for rigidity or droop.

My neighbors have Washingtonia robusta so I took a few photos of theirs to compare.  The biggest difference is the long inflorescens on Wahl robusta. 

17245291915121755666182197134723.jpg

20240824_123916.jpg

20240824_124044.jpg

20240824_123813.jpg

• Like 1

Check out Jim's Brahea edulis in this thread for comparison.

Jon Sunder

On 8/22/2024 at 2:33 PM, Tracy said:

This developer really broke the bank buying these Exotic large fan palms.  Based on the rental rates for the apartments, I can see why the budget was so high ;).  A one bedroom starts at a mere $3,745 per month with no on-site parking.   You want a parking spot or a garage?  That is additional. 

Such rare and large palms, I wonder where they sourced them?

20240819_074817.jpg

20240819_074856.jpg

That price is to make you feel like you're living in a Manhattan highrise, at least on the first of each month.

4 hours ago, pogobob said:

Brahea edulis for sure

Thanks for the clarification Bob.  Hopefully they will start looking more distinctive after being allowed to grow their leaves in situ for a while.

3 minutes ago, SeanK said:

That price is to make you feel like you're living in a Manhattan highrise, at least on the first of each month.

It is outrageous.  The 2 bedroom 2 bathroom 1122 square foot units are listed at $6450. Parking is additional again.  This is supposed to meet the city's housing needs, with the 1 bedroom lowest priced units supposedly "affordable housing ".  The units are sitting empty for the most part so we will see when they do a reality check.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tracy said:

It is outrageous.  The 2 bedroom 2 bathroom 1122 square foot units are listed at $6450. Parking is additional again.  This is supposed to meet the city's housing needs, with the 1 bedroom lowest priced units supposedly "affordable housing ".  The units are sitting empty for the most part so we will see when they do a reality check.

Wow that’s crazy. $45000 for a years rent for a 1 bedroom? I don’t get it - that would require an income of $100,000/yr just to afford the basics. The average person working a “regular job” isn’t making that.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Johnny Palmseed said:

Wow that’s crazy. $45000 for a years rent for a 1 bedroom? I don’t get it - that would require an income of $100,000/yr just to afford the basics.

Many landlords, especially at any new development like this that is not a mom and pop landlord, want you to prove your income is at least three times the rent, so this would actually proving $135,000/year just to be considered eligible. The two-bedroom tenants would have to prove annual income of $232,000.

Yeah I guess I can understand that but we have been looking for a new house and some of the properties have required a proof of funds and/or mortgage pre approval letter just to see the house.

On 8/24/2024 at 6:49 PM, pogobob said:

Brahea edulis for sure

That does seem likely upon a closer comparison.  You don't really see those in Florida so that's probably why it didn't come to mind for me. There is some resemblance to livistona chinensis, but it doesn't seem to have the droopiness of the end of the frond.