• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Zone pushing winners and losers

happypalms

With winter almost finished it was time to look at who survived and who made it a lot of my new licualas made it  a couple didn’t some of my new trees looked a little bit worse for wear but made it a few did really well a Kerriodoxa just said goodbye along with a sabinara magnifica the coconuts laughed at me for even trying Areca catechu said why did you even think I would live pinanga blue seed survived losing most of it’s tropical grown leaves but lived my garcinia mangostana just gave up completely socratea rostrata tolerated winter Areca vidaliana faired pretty good so not to bad some where happy others not to happy with temperatures as low as 2 degrees Celsius the  cold wet week was the last straw for some at the last month of winter so for the zone pushers in us all I hope this information helps you in expanding your collection by giving it a go I certainly learnt a bit in what will live and what won’t live a couple I kinda knew wouldn’t live but you have to try.

IMG_8646.jpeg

IMG_8645.jpeg

IMG_8649.jpeg

IMG_8648.jpeg

IMG_8666.jpeg

IMG_8672.jpeg

IMG_8671.jpeg

IMG_8654.jpeg

IMG_8653.jpeg

IMG_8658.jpeg

IMG_8657.jpeg

IMG_8656.jpeg

IMG_8655.jpeg

IMG_8660.jpeg

IMG_8659.jpeg

IMG_8662.jpeg

IMG_8663.jpeg

IMG_8637.jpeg

IMG_8636.jpeg

IMG_8644.jpeg

IMG_8643.jpeg

IMG_8638.jpeg

IMG_8639.jpeg

IMG_8675.jpeg

IMG_8674.jpeg

IMG_8677.jpeg

IMG_8676.jpeg

IMG_8670.jpeg

IMG_8669.jpeg

IMG_8668.jpeg

IMG_8652.jpeg

IMG_8651.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

Brutally honest Richard...love it!

• Like 1

South Arm, Tasmania, Australia - 42° South

Mild oceanic climate, with coastal exposure.

Summer: 12°C (53°F) average min, to 21°C (70°F) average daily max. Up to 40°C (104°F max) rarely.

Winter: 6°C (43°F) average min, to 13°C (55°F) average daily max. Down to 0°C (32°F) occasionally, some light frost.

I looked back through my germination records from 10 years ago, there were species there that I couldn't even remember buying, let alone having a snowballs chance in hell of ever growing here...still hope springs eternal!

South Arm, Tasmania, Australia - 42° South

Mild oceanic climate, with coastal exposure.

Summer: 12°C (53°F) average min, to 21°C (70°F) average daily max. Up to 40°C (104°F max) rarely.

Winter: 6°C (43°F) average min, to 13°C (55°F) average daily max. Down to 0°C (32°F) occasionally, some light frost.

3 minutes ago, Jonathan said:

I looked back through my germination records from 10 years ago, there were species there that I couldn't even remember buying, let alone having a snowballs chance in hell of ever growing here...still hope springs eternal!

Your one zone pusher to the max in sunny Tasmania I bet  you lost a lot of plants over the years but you gotta try you just never know not all are going to die or live I guess as they say it’s gunna be a cold day in hell before that happens.

Nice work Richard. Somehow my zone pushes continue to survive. I thought this winter would knock out a few, and maybe I’m a bit early in calling it but the weather has really picked up lately. At this stage, only Bentinckia condapanna is showing anything more than minor spotting. A close by Hyophorbe indica is completely untouched which has shocked me. It looks even better than some Archontophoenix. 

B condapanna:

IMG_2328.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.

I guess I’m not quite as brave . I do have some newcomers in my yard so I’m hoping that none are too sensitive to our winters. Richard, do you keep a journal of the losses ? Harry

I really appreciate your posts (both of you) on what does and doesn't make it.  Were the plants that died get a freeze or just extended chill?  I would love to see the H indica @tim_brissy_13 i have one and no one grows them here, but bottles are in the open and spindles nearly untouchable, so i gave it a try under deep canopy shade.  Its going well now with summer but winter is untested yet.  Your posts from frosty spots are quite useful for me to learn from (my Bentinckia is also having issues from either heat, water, or nutrition for example)

1 of my Sabinaria magnifica has unfortunately spear pulled although it does appear to be pushing another. I've dosed it with H202 to reduce the risk of further decline. It appears they don't like to be too wet, which I think is the mistake I made, although I do have another that is pristine in identical conditions (grown side by side).

I wouldn't say mine are water logged as the soil is well drained, but they are kept moist at all times (watering once a week in winter). I've moved the spear pulled specimen under the alfresco that gets sun for a couple of hours first thing in the morning and stays warmer throughout the day. I'm also keeping it on the drier side for now at least, only watering when the soil starts to dry. 

Other losses that spring to mind include Manicaria saccifera, Nephrosperma van-houtteanum, and Phoenicophorium borsigianum.

For those of you that frequent Facebook, I’ve set up a group called “Pommy palms”, where many of the palms I’ve seen since emigrating to Australia have been documented. If you wish to be a member, copy and paste “Pommy palms” into Facebook to view the page and click “Join group”.

1 hour ago, Jonathan Haycock said:

1 of my Sabinaria magnifica has unfortunately spear pulled although it does appear to be pushing another. I've dosed it with H202 to reduce the risk of further decline. It appears they don't like to be too wet, which I think is the mistake I made, although I do have another that is pristine in identical conditions (grown side by side).

I wouldn't say mine are water logged as the soil is well drained, but they are kept moist at all times (watering once a week in winter). I've moved the spear pulled specimen under the alfresco that gets sun for a couple of hours first thing in the morning and stays warmer throughout the day. I'm also keeping it on the drier side for now at least, only watering when the soil starts to dry. 

Other losses that spring to mind include Manicaria saccifera, Nephrosperma van-houtteanum, and Phoenicophorium borsigianum.

Manicaria is supposedly right up there with C renda, good effort for trying! 

7 hours ago, flplantguy said:

I really appreciate your posts (both of you) on what does and doesn't make it.  Were the plants that died get a freeze or just extended chill?  I would love to see the H indica @tim_brissy_13 i have one and no one grows them here, but bottles are in the open and spindles nearly untouchable, so i gave it a try under deep canopy shade.  Its going well now with summer but winter is untested yet.  Your posts from frosty spots are quite useful for me to learn from (my Bentinckia is also having issues from either heat, water, or nutrition for example)

Here’s my H indica pre winter in May  I’ll have to take a current photo. It basically looks similar except the new frond opening in this photo is fully unfurled and there’s a new spear. The tips of the new frond did brown tip a bit in late May, but that’s probably unavoidable for a tropical sp opening a frond at that time of year here.  I’ve got it on an east facing wall under filtered canopy which I’m sure helps  we’ll see how it goes when/if it gets above the roof gutter line.

image.thumb.jpeg.6bca46eb76a5ae770f44d89abe55a2b1.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.96704145eb80d3e04fc8f271d093f37f.jpeg

• Like 2

Tim Brisbane

Rarely Frost

8 hours ago, tim_brissy_13 said:

Nice work Richard. Somehow my zone pushes continue to survive. I thought this winter would knock out a few, and maybe I’m a bit early in calling it but the weather has really picked up lately. At this stage, only Bentinckia condapanna is showing anything more than minor spotting. A close by Hyophorbe indica is completely untouched which has shocked me. It looks even better than some Archontophoenix. 

B condapanna:

IMG_2328.jpeg

You gotta try as we know it’s surprising what makes it there are the obvious ones that won’t make I have not tried a MAPU and won’t even bother condapana are quite tough for such a tropical beauty I got some indica sprouts coming this week iam confident in them making it.

7 hours ago, Harry’s Palms said:

I guess I’m not quite as brave . I do have some newcomers in my yard so I’m hoping that none are too sensitive to our winters. Richard, do you keep a journal of the losses ? Harry

Yes you learn as you go what will make it sooner or later the only disadvantage to zone pushing is the cost involved you can lose big bucks but I don’t gamble at the clubs or horses so my garden benefits big time I do keep the labels from those that don’t make it but that being said the only records I keep are in stereo cabinet from 30 years of collecting vinyl and we all live in a yellow submarine next to we’re on a road to nowhere with jumping jack flash some great songs of the past.

Richard 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jonathan Haycock said:

Yes sabinara don’t like the cold wet as seedlings is my experience not sure about juvenile ones yet the jury is still out waiting to see them grow a bit more in the ground I try not to water in winter unless I have too.

• Like 1

Music is food for the soul , Richard . Just like gardening or , for me , riding my vintage racing bicycles. My wife and I are home bodies , we both love working in the garden and pulling weeds. One of our Archontophoenix is really picking up speed and she noticed . Now , we are venturing out into some different varieties of palms so there is a bit of risk the first couple of years. Better than Black Jack! Harry

11 hours ago, Harry’s Palms said:

Music is food for the soul , Richard . Just like gardening or , for me , riding my vintage racing bicycles. My wife and I are home bodies , we both love working in the garden and pulling weeds. One of our Archontophoenix is really picking up speed and she noticed . Now , we are venturing out into some different varieties of palms so there is a bit of risk the first couple of years. Better than Black Jack! Harry

Argh an old cyclist hey or as we would say in Australia the treadly or pushie I still have my old mountain bike from when I was 21 I never owned a car until I was 30 had a trailer made up for my bike did my shopping with it will never forget the day I hit a parked car and bent my racing bike in half  loved those days music is great for the mind and soul I never had children so my palms are my babies and archontophoenix are the first palm that got planted in my garden gardening is my soul mate along with my wife I live for my garden and it lives for me.

Richard 

• Like 1

Another one that didn’t make 

IMG_8727.jpeg

IMG_8726.jpeg

My Hyophorbe indica update after winter. Looks better than some other bulletproof palms here, I’ve been pleasantly surprised with it. I’m sure the brick wall helps; it’s east facing so gets half day morning filtered light. 

IMG_2387.jpeg

• Like 3

Tim Brisbane

Rarely Frost

10 hours ago, happypalms said:

Another one that didn’t make 

IMG_8727.jpeg

IMG_8726.jpeg

Yep, 2 of my 3 bit the dust as well. Not confident on the 3rd either 🤣.

For those of you that frequent Facebook, I’ve set up a group called “Pommy palms”, where many of the palms I’ve seen since emigrating to Australia have been documented. If you wish to be a member, copy and paste “Pommy palms” into Facebook to view the page and click “Join group”.

Another winter loser it lived for three winters but it was just slowly declining giving me hope every summer with one new leaf but that was just not enough eventually all the leaves slowly declining over winter and the cool autumn this year was all it could take saying no more of this cold iam outta here man give me a break.

IMG_8699.jpeg

IMG_8698.jpeg

6 hours ago, tim_brissy_13 said:

My Hyophorbe indica update after winter. Looks better than some other bulletproof palms here, I’ve been pleasantly surprised with it. I’m sure the brick wall helps; it’s east facing so gets half day morning filtered light. 

IMG_2387.jpeg

That’s a nice one tim I did get some sprouts the other day now I know there definitely cold tolerant if you can grow them in sunny warm Melbourne keep on growing you got many nice palms in garden another ten years and you’re garden will look fantastic.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jonathan Haycock said:

Yep, 2 of my 3 bit the dust as well. Not confident on the 3rd either 🤣.

Yep another one bites the dust 😁

A couple more losers this time two sabinara found in the greenhouse my conclusion is they don’t like to be cold and wet as seedlings they grow fine in the hothouse as seedlings a calpytrocalyx yumutumene died the rest lived but I did get a licuala yaal braal to survive two winters and looks half decent for coming out of winter.

IMG_8845.jpeg

IMG_8844.jpeg

IMG_8862.jpeg

IMG_8863.jpeg

• Like 1

Well , I will know next Spring . This is the first year in a while that I have added so many varieties to my garden. I am hoping for a mild Winter so they can get established . I have high hopes as they came from an environment much like mine , none from a greenhouse. The Wodyetia made it through last winter in pots so they are in the ground now , four of them. I like getting palms from a private collection versus a nursery . Harry

A couple of lucky winter winners socratea deltoidea they seemed to handle the cool weather well.

IMG_8882.jpeg

IMG_8883.jpeg