• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Starting Another Palm Garden

Daryl

Hi Everyone, A few of us get together this morning to pitch in and help out a fellow palmaholic with his new garden.

Andy Green, who has appeared here before, just moved into his new house on the Gold Coast. He needed some help with his new garden, so we all got together and pitched in to help him get his new garden established.

Colin flew in from Kiama international airport, Wal drove down from Brisbane, and fellow Gold Coasters, Mike Newcal Green,Rob Muelet and myself all drove over to Andy's to help out with planting, mulching and building retaining walls.

The soil there was red volcanic, with some clay areas as well. The plants should love it, and I'll do a follow up post in about 12 months to see how the are all doing.

Here's a few photos from today...

Andy is smiling 'cause everyone is helping...notice protective footwear

andy1.jpg

Rob is in his element digging in palms...

andy2.jpg

Wal showing his skill with a spade, trying to find a good home for a Dypsis lastelliana

andy3.jpg

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Coling, getting dirty with his Latania. Livistona victoriae in foreground.

andy4.jpg

A whole lineup of Dypsis species

andy5.jpg

And more...

andy8.jpg

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Retaining wall going up...

andy6.jpg

Our host, enjoying his rewards after a few hours of planting...

andy7.jpg

regards,

Daryl

Hey.... I got stuff to be planted too... Care to dig holes for me..?  :D. We planted at least 23 palms and 11 trees this weekend... absolutely stuffed now...

On a more serious note, good to see you are all having fun together.. I am sure there were a lot of beer being consumed that day...

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

More..............

So, apparently this is a Butia hybrid, but what does everyone think it is a hybrid of ? Lovely purplish colouring

Andys006.jpg

Note in full blaring sun is a nice sized (sun hardened) Howea forsteriana.

Andys015.jpg

I thought this an awesome foursome, Foxtail, Bismarck, Yellow Latan and a Beccariophoenix.

Andys018.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

and............

Andys002.jpg

Andys005.jpg

Andys012.jpg

Hot work, Cold beer, say no more.........the dog was the foreman, he's had it too.

Andys021.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Oh and thanks for the "Orange Crush" Andy, I deserved it...... :D  :D

See you next week in Darwin Colin and Rob and the rest of the rat pack I'll see at the society meeting at Mt Cootha.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Is that Beccariophoenix sun-hardened too? I am still too scared to put mine in the sun. They have been the shade house, although now we have pretty much overcast days.

How many palms did you plant that day?

BTW, don't forget your umbrella guys for the Darwin trip. I hope for your sake, the monsoon would not hit that weekend. There was talk among the weather people that the monsoon will start at the end of November instead of end of December. Afternoon storm is one thing.... monsoon is another.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Great work fellas..... its obvious a lot of toil went into it.

Always nice to start with a "blank canvass"   :P

Just north of Cairns, Australia....16 Deg S.
Tropical climate: from 19C to 34C.

Spending a lot of time in Manila, Philippines... 15 Deg N.
Tropical climate: from 24C to 35C.

Nice, you guys did more in a day than I've done in 9 months since I moved to my new place!  I wish I had palms that big, and people to plant them...

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

(Daryl @ Nov. 18 2007,03:07)

Retaining wall going up...

andy6.jpg

Our host, enjoying his rewards after a few hours of planting...

andy7.jpg

regards,

Daryl

Daryl,

Congratulations for your home and garden. Great place and beautiful area.

I have got a couple of questions for you, little bit out of topic. Sorry.

You have got a big grey plastic tank in your backyard. What is it for ?

I see  that in your area, and in whole OZ I guess, a lot of people build their houses in wood. I cannot imagine it here in our european mediterranean area. Winter rains, hot summer, sun with high levels of UV radiations, temperature down in winter up in summer would lead the home owner to an endless repaint and protecting work. Is it the same in OZ ? At least, what about termites ?

One last question, in OZ are wooden houses cheaper than concretes ones ? (the question can be answered by our frieds in US too)

Thanks for answers. You are blessed to live in such a nice country.

Phil

Phil my guess would be a water catch on the grey tank in the back yard......Wow you guys are good...wish I had freinds like you but my personality prohibits it.....lol

Curt

Cypress, Ca.

Very cool outing!  AND it was productive!!! :D

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

looks like the landscape marines have landed. Ausies think Big like their Fosters Beer.

Nelson Kirk

Newark, Ca. Zone 17

Located between Oakland and San Jose

Great palms and great new garden!  I noticed those draped socks you Aussies use, I wish we could get them here.  It keeps the little pebbles and dirt out of your boots.  I like the rock work especially.

Jerry

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

(EuroPalm @ Nov. 18 2007,09:33)

I see  that in your area, and in whole OZ I guess, a lot of people build their houses in wood. I cannot imagine it here in our european mediterranean area. Winter rains, hot summer, sun with high levels of UV radiations, temperature down in winter up in summer would lead the home owner to an endless repaint and protecting work. Is it the same in OZ ? At least, what about termites ?

One last question, in OZ are wooden houses cheaper than concretes ones ? (the question can be answered by our frieds in US too)

Phil

Hi Phil,

The house construction will depend on where you are in Australia. Here in Darwin, not many house are made of wood. We either have steel frame home with colorbond wall (cladding) - like mine or concrete block home. Some concrete block homes would have wooden trusses, but most would use steel trusses too. We have bad termite problem here, that is why wood is not very popular choice for construction.

Based on my experience, I think wooden frame house is cheaper to build than concrete block homes. They are easier and faster to build.

I hope that answer some of your question, at least from northern/tropical part of Australia.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

that looks like it was alotta fun!good to see yer keeping wal busy,too!

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

(BS @ Man about Palms,Nov. 18 2007,09:08)

Indeed! That will be some garden in a few years. It is nice seeing the Southern Hemisphere Rat Pack as we usually only see the SoCal Rat Pack or Florida Rat Pack on here.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

(LJG @ Nov. 18 2007,14:53)

(BS @ Man about Palms,Nov. 18 2007,09:08)

Indeed! That will be some garden in a few years. It is nice seeing the Southern Hemisphere Rat Pack as we usually only see the SoCal Rat Pack or Florida Rat Pack on here.

Well said!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

(EuroPalm @ Nov. 18 2007,23:33)

Phil

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the congrats, but it is not my place..it belongs to Andy..:-)

The tank is a rainwater tank, which simply collects the rain runoff from the roof. By law, these have to be installed with each new house built in our area...most of southeast Queensland.

Normally, residential rainwater tanks are smaller than this, but if you want a good palm garden...

The standard method of building houses on the East coast of Oz has, for a long time (30 years +), been brick veneer construction, over a timber frame, on a concrete slab. These days they use treated pine frames or steel frames to minimise termite damage as we can't pour toxic chemicals onto the ground anymore (dieldrin). Termites are everywhere here, although our species are not as voracious as Darwin Termites which will eat through concrete.

The brick veneer construction is quite efficient thermally, and has the added benefit of cooling down at night in summer. The trouble with double brick or concrete construction is that it retains the heat all night, and is not as comfortable to live in with a humid climate. Winter warming here is normally not an issue.

Brick veneer is also cheaper to erect, and more competitive as most builders construct this style of house.

The steel roof and guttering etc is all colourbond steel, which does not require painting. The rendered walls of a lot of houses do indeed require painting, but with today's UV stable paints, you get at least 5 years before repainting.

Hope this answers your questions!

Daryl

(Jerry@TreeZoo @ Nov. 19 2007,03:30)

Great palms and great new garden!  I noticed those draped socks you Aussies use, I wish we could get them here.  It keeps the little pebbles and dirt out of your boots.  I like the rock work especially.

Jerry

Jerry,the guy that invented them should have his blood bottled. They stop all the cr@p as you said, including pebbles, soil, mulch, twigs, prickly grass seed etc

Do you not have them over there?

The rock work is Mike Green's (Newcal's) effort, he does a lot of dry stack work here.

Daryl

(ariscott @ Nov. 18 2007,19:09)

How many palms did you plant that day?

BTW, don't forget your umbrella guys for the Darwin trip. I hope for your sake, the monsoon would not hit that weekend. There was talk among the weather people that the monsoon will start at the end of November instead of end of December. Afternoon storm is one thing.... monsoon is another.

Ari, lots of palms were planted...couldn't give you a number though. Andy lurks on this board occasionally, maybe he might join one day and spill the beans...

I hope the monsoon stays away for a few more weeks...

Have you had any good thunderstorms lately?

Daryl

(RadPalms @ Nov. 18 2007,12:02)

Phil my guess would be a water catch on the grey tank in the back yard......Wow you guys are good...wish I had freinds like you but my personality prohibits it.....lol

Curt

Thanks Curt,

That's exactly what I was thinking about.

I wonder if this tank can supply by itself all the water needed all year round by the garden.

Maybe Queensland climate is enough rainy for that.

Phil

(ariscott @ Nov. 18 2007,16:41)

(EuroPalm @ Nov. 18 2007,09:33)

Phil

Hi Phil,

The house construction will depend on where you are in Australia. Here in Darwin, not many house are made of wood. We either have steel frame home with colorbond wall (cladding) - like mine or concrete block home. Some concrete block homes would have wooden trusses, but most would use steel trusses too. We have bad termite problem here, that is why wood is not very popular choice for construction.

Based on my experience, I think wooden frame house is cheaper to build than concrete block homes. They are easier and faster to build.

I hope that answer some of your question, at least from northern/tropical part of Australia.

Thanks Ari for your explanation,

It is interesting for me to notice that you use steel frame home with colorbond wall (cladding) for personal home.

In France this solution is used only for collective buildings like schools, shops etc..

Here the favorite is concrete blocks.

We have something to improve around here !

Phil

(Daryl @ Nov. 19 2007,05:58)

Have you had any good thunderstorms lately?

We had a good one on Saturday. Sunday would've been better, but dissipate before reaching my place. Apparently Darwin River got 55mm in less than an hour. The lightning show this afternoon was better, although we only got 4mm rain!!

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

(Daryl @ Nov. 19 2007,05:42)

(EuroPalm @ Nov. 18 2007,23:33)

Phil

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the congrats, but it is not my place..it belongs to Andy..:-)

The tank is a rainwater tank, which simply collects the rain runoff from the roof. By law, these have to be installed with each new house built in our area...most of southeast Queensland.

Normally, residential rainwater tanks are smaller than this, but if you want a good palm garden...

The standard method of building houses on the East coast of Oz has, for a long time (30 years +), been brick veneer construction, over a timber frame, on a concrete slab. These days they use treated pine frames or steel frames to minimise termite damage as we can't pour toxic chemicals onto the ground anymore (dieldrin). Termites are everywhere here, although our species are not as voracious as Darwin Termites which will eat through concrete.

The brick veneer construction is quite efficient thermally, and has the added benefit of cooling down at night in summer. The trouble with double brick or concrete construction is that it retains the heat all night, and is not as comfortable to live in with a humid climate. Winter warming here is normally not an issue.

Brick veneer is also cheaper to erect, and more competitive as most builders construct this style of house.

The steel roof and guttering etc is all colourbond steel, which does not require painting. The rendered walls of a lot of houses do indeed require painting, but with today's UV stable paints, you get at least 5 years before repainting.

Hope this answers your questions!

Daryl

Thanks Daryl,

I apologize for my mistake !

Sorry Andy your house is really nice !

I see that Queensland authority made compulsory the use of watertank in each new house. Nothing like this in France.

I must admit that we try give lessons of good management of natural ressources and climatic warming to the world but we don't have yet regulations about this kind of tanks.

We have to sweep in front of our door before telling to others to sweep in front of theirs.

Thank you too for your explanations about houses and uses of brick veneer.

Phil

(EuroPalm @ Nov. 19 2007,07:58)

It is interesting for me to notice that you use steel frame home with colorbond wall (cladding) for personal home.

In France this solution is used only for collective buildings like schools, shops etc..

Here the favorite is concrete blocks.

We have something to improve around here !

Phil

Phil,

Most homes in Darwin are made of concrete blocks these days, since the price of steel has increased so much in the last few years. I work in the construction industry and concrete block homes are a lot simpler to build than steel frame ones - for cyclone rating and everything.  

Some people prefer steel frame homes because they don't retain heat. We are tropical here in Darwin - very hot & humid day in the wet season and dry & cool in the dry season. So, we need insulation to keep the heat out - not in.

We used to rent block homes and during the afternoon, it would heat up so much and retain the heat all night long, hence we had to put the air conditioning on to be able to sleep comfortably. In my own home now, as soon as the sun goes down, the house cools down significantly and we very rarely use air conditioning during the night. So, we save on energy too.

It is a matter of preference.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Ari, I remember the concrete block home we lived in, back in the late 70s. It was one of those post cyclone Tracy bunkers that would withstand a direct hit from a nuclear bomb. It was nice and solid, but as you said earlier, it heated up and never cooled down. Not many people had air in those days, so the ceiling fans ran 24x7 all year.

Daryl

:) Hi Guys

What a great job, Some choice palms for sure.

Well done all chipping in, You guys rock. Colin

You should have been  Foreman Dude,Esp on

ya Birthday. :D

One thing, Daryl don't let Wal pretent he's working

if your going to take a picture, :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Put ya back into it Wal, everyones busting there B___s,

:P ,.................Only kidding . Great job Guys, Kind Hearts.

The Aussie Spirit  :)  Regards Mikey....

M.H.Edwards

"Living in the Tropic's

And loving it".............. smilie.gif

Nice work fellahs!  That's gonna be a jungle in a few years.  It's nice to have friends like that.  And it's nice you let Wal tag along too. :laugh:

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

(Daryl @ Nov. 18 2007,00:01)

andy1.jpg

New Quote:  "He he he, now that the boys are hard at work, I think I'll have meself a nice cold stubby and let me feet air out.....Cheers!"

:laugh:

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Looks good guyz!! I'd like to see it in another 10 years. How's the growth rate over there? Similar to Hawaii/Florida?

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

Palm freaks are good peeps!!!!!

Hi All

Andy cooked and provided a great lunch, then Wal took Daryl home for his daughters birthday party

Mike finished the rock wall on his own, unbelievable job, some of the rocks had to be 100kg, he just kept going, levering, pushing shoving them into place, More palms where planted and all the mulch was spread and all the garden soil was placed , we finished just in time as it was becoming dark. we had a nice cold beer, After we left, Andy worked into the night laying a pebble walkway, the twins are unstoppable

Andy planned everything in advance with drawings for the placements of the palms and other plants, it made for a very productive day, good fun had by all, lots of laughing took place, there could be another planting party next year at Mikes, for his Australian palm collection beds, will have to get back into training :-)

regards

colin

PS

Daryl, we need some update pictures

coastal north facing location

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

Great stuff guys.

A working bee can do plenty in a short time.

now I wish you some rains.

Jim

Located on Vanua Levu near Savusavu (16degrees South) Elevation from sealevel to 30meters with average annual rainfall of 2800mm (110in) with temperature from 18 to 34C (65 to 92F).

(palmsforpleasure @ Nov. 19 2007,20:27)

Andy planned everything in advance with drawings for the placements of the palms and other plants, it made for a very productive day, good fun had by all, lots of laughing took place, there could be another planting party next year at Mikes, for his Australian palm collection beds, will have to get back into training :-)

It is amazing that Andy managed to stick to the plan. I have drawings of all my palms and trees and tried to plan everything. But, come time to plant them, I always ended up changing my mind.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

The amount of time and effort I put into the plant out at Andy's obviously hasn't been appreciated here. I'm a bit miffed really and feel let down. You think you know your friends then next minute.......

Sure everyone else planted about 30 or 40 palms each and I just planted the one, but the point is, what a planting it was. Dypsis lastelliana has never been treated so well, with the utmost care, attention and respect it truly deserves.

I know everybody else were physically exhausted at the end of the day, but you could total that up and it wouldn't come near the mental tiredness I felt from the concentration I put in to that Dypsis lastelliana.

"I'm too sexy for my lasty

too sexy for my lasty

it makes me feel so nasty"

As I was saying, the spade technique so visually and beautifully captured by photograph as seen...........in the photograph, highlights the thought process converted to energy and injected into that planting. So, you may ridicule all you like but you can't take away my FREEDOM !!!

"I'm too sexy for the planting

too sexy for the planting

those Dypsis get me panting"

and .....that's all I have to say about that

mamma always said, life is like a plant out, you never know what you gonna get.

:P

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

That garden is going to look really nice in a few years.  Good job.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

On behalf of Andy(my brother ) i want to thank everyone associated with the Pacsoa "Rat Pack" for the HUGE effort they put in on the weekend. IT should be quite a garden in a few years ! Anyway now thats over with we can now focus on the Darwin trip next week. Question.....Any of you guys snore ? ...as less than 8 hours sleep makes for a grumpy Newcal the next morning...Hee hee...just joshing regards Mike Gren

(ariscott @ Nov. 20 2007,19:47)

(palmsforpleasure @ Nov. 19 2007,20:27)

It is amazing that Andy managed to stick to the plan. I have drawings of all my palms and trees and tried to plan everything. But, come time to plant them, I always ended up changing my mind.

Ari, here is a copy of Andy's plan...

post-42-1195565263_thumb.jpg

looking great.

It's nice to see teamwork like this, not an often sight these days.

Can't wait to see some future pictures.

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A