• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Nice little RPS order arrived today

happypalms

Another couple of different palm varieties with some arenga hookeriana ceroxylon quidiuense and some dypsis brevicaulis. Should keep me going in the science project department for at least a day or two. Until I want more seeds, palms are so addictive to collect but iam not after a cure anyday soon.

IMG_9061.jpeg

IMG_9064.jpeg

IMG_9065.jpeg

IMG_9075.jpeg

IMG_9076.jpeg

IMG_9077.jpeg

IMG_9078.jpeg

IMG_9066.jpeg

• Like 5

Nice haul . Very addictive hobby , I agree. I am lucky , I only have 1/4 acre lot so it is a matter of space(and the insurance company) . Harry

Nice work Richard. I’m just starting to get some movement on my C quindiuense from RPS after about 4 months. Good luck - I hope there’s soon to be 100 more Ceroxylons in Aus! Try to keep them cool over summer. 

• Like 1

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.

10 hours ago, tim_brissy_13 said:

Nice work Richard. I’m just starting to get some movement on my C quindiuense from RPS after about 4 months. Good luck - I hope there’s soon to be 100 more Ceroxylons in Aus! Try to keep them cool over summer. 

Yes I thought it was a nice palm the quindiuense. Most definitely a summer shade palm in my climate in summer. I look forward to some seedlings in 4 months hopefully.

10 hours ago, Harry’s Palms said:

Nice haul . Very addictive hobby , I agree. I am lucky , I only have 1/4 acre lot so it is a matter of space(and the insurance company) . Harry

Yes the only cure is another fix more palms unfortunately. An addiction that’s untreatable. To heck with the insurance companies you can always flatten the house and live in your palm jungle after all we originally did.

Richard 

• Like 1

I like the way you think , Richard. I can share with the monkeys . Oh , wait ….. you didn’t know about the monkeys? 😂Harry

Congrats on the great new seeds!

I had no trouble germinating Ceroxylon alpinum (just a few seeds) years ago as a long shot to try in my climate. 

Then the seedlings moped in my summer heat.

I am left now with one survivor in the ground about 3 years.  For that I am grateful. 

So I will look forward to reading about your success with the even more special C. quindiuense that I have admired so much in habitat in Colombia. 

• Like 1

Cindy Adair

17 hours ago, tim_brissy_13 said:

What temperature are you keeping these seeds? I bought some from rps a while ago and they've done nothing for me. My initial thought was that they wouldn't want that much heat, but they didn't do anything for several months, so I made them hotter, and they've still done nothing. Is a large day/night fluctuation important?

7 hours ago, Harry’s Palms said:

I like the way you think , Richard. I can share with the monkeys . Oh , wait ….. you didn’t know about the monkeys? 😂Harry

There’s monkeys in that jungle nobody told me about the monkeys. Build me a hut 🛖 with monkeys iam in!
Richard 

7 hours ago, Cindy Adair said:

Congrats on the great new seeds!

I had no trouble germinating Ceroxylon alpinum (just a few seeds) years ago as a long shot to try in my climate. 

Then the seedlings moped in my summer heat.

I am left now with one survivor in the ground about 3 years.  For that I am grateful. 

So I will look forward to reading about your success with the even more special C. quindiuense that I have admired so much in habitat in Colombia. 

It’s like Christmas getting new seeds. So much fun importing seeds a real palm lottery ticket. They sound like a challenge in the heat to grow quindiuense, time will tell how successful they will be if they germinate well. I can only try as they say.

I received an order from RPS yesterday as well. Got 8 new species to play with, including both Copernicia hospita and Bismarckia nobilis 'Silver' I briefly thought choosing between.

Also -- I should have the same batch Ceroxylon quindiuense from them (although I got mine in midsummer already).

Species I'm growing from seed: Verschaffeltia splendida, Chrysalidocarpus leptocheilos, Licuala grandis, Hyophorbe verschaffeltii, Johannesteijsmannia altifrons, Bentinckia condapanna, Livistona benthamii, Licuala mattanensis 'Mapu'. 

1 hour ago, PalmsandLiszt said:

What temperature are you keeping these seeds? I bought some from rps a while ago and they've done nothing for me. My initial thought was that they wouldn't want that much heat, but they didn't do anything for several months, so I made them hotter, and they've still done nothing. Is a large day/night fluctuation important?

Keeping them at 26C constant. This temp tends to be about right for a lot of the high elevation/cloudforest species (eg some Geonoma, Ceroxylon, Hedyscepe, Chamaedorea etc)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.

1 hour ago, meridannight said:

I received an order from RPS yesterday as well. Got 8 new species to play with, including both Copernicia hospita and Bismarckia nobilis 'Silver' I briefly thought choosing between.

Also -- I should have the same batch Ceroxylon quindiuense from them (although I got mine in midsummer already).

Nice one they do a good job at RPS. You just have to keep on ordering they have so many  different varieties all the time. I was a bit late ordering the ceroxylon. I usually order as many varieties I can at the time to make the effort of importing them worthwhile.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, tim_brissy_13 said:

Keeping them at 26C constant. This temp tends to be about right for a lot of the high elevation/cloudforest species (eg some Geonoma, Ceroxylon, Hedyscepe, Chamaedorea etc)

Shall give this a try. Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/7/2024 at 12:07 PM, happypalms said:

Nice one they do a good job at RPS. You just have to keep on ordering they have so many  different varieties all the time. I was a bit late ordering the ceroxylon. I usually order as many varieties I can at the time to make the effort of importing them worthwhile.

My C. quiniuense seeds have germinated, by the way. Took 2.5 months. 

Species I'm growing from seed: Verschaffeltia splendida, Chrysalidocarpus leptocheilos, Licuala grandis, Hyophorbe verschaffeltii, Johannesteijsmannia altifrons, Bentinckia condapanna, Livistona benthamii, Licuala mattanensis 'Mapu'. 

6 hours ago, meridannight said:

My C. quiniuense seeds have germinated, by the way. Took 2.5 months. 

Good stuff I can’t wait for my ones to start. It sounds like it will be a challenge to grow. My ones are bit behind your ones thanks for germinating time. It helps to know how to wait. Cheers 

On 9/7/2024 at 6:50 PM, tim_brissy_13 said:

Imo too warm 

Ceroxylon quin mine germinated outside in the shade house in late winter 10 to 16C  same for Hedyscepe 

• Upvote 1

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

On 9/6/2024 at 7:51 PM, happypalms said:

Another couple of different palm varieties with some arenga hookeriana ceroxylon quidiuense and some dypsis brevicaulis. Should keep me going in the science project department for at least a day or two. Until I want more seeds, palms are so addictive to collect but iam not after a cure anyday soon.

IMG_9061.jpeg

IMG_9064.jpeg

IMG_9065.jpeg

IMG_9075.jpeg

IMG_9076.jpeg

IMG_9077.jpeg

IMG_9078.jpeg

IMG_9066.jpeg

Nice haul 

Here is my Ceroxylon quidiuense 5 years from seed 

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate

1 hour ago, Tassie_Troy1971 said:

20240624_073417.jpg

20240624_073405.jpg

Wow and more wow fast growing palm a real beauty. Any grow tips much appreciated thanks.

3 hours ago, Tassie_Troy1971 said:

20240624_073417.jpg

20240624_073405.jpg

So beautiful already at such a young age. It's truly one of the most beautiful species of palm. I'm only concerned about the eventual size, but thankfully that'll take years to get to. 

8 hours ago, happypalms said:

Wow and more wow fast growing palm a real beauty. Any grow tips much appreciated thanks.

Move to a colder climate, lol!

Luckily @Tassie_Troy1971 is giving this palm to me, as he has no room left to grow it...

South Arm, Tasmania, Australia - 42° South

Mild oceanic climate, with coastal exposure.

Summer: 12°C (53°F) average min, to 21°C (70°F) average daily max. Up to 40°C (104°F max) rarely.

Winter: 6°C (43°F) average min, to 13°C (55°F) average daily max. Down to 0°C (32°F) occasionally, some light frost.

39 minutes ago, Jonathan said:

Luckily @Tassie_Troy1971 is giving this palm to me, as he has no room left to grow it...

Now you’re teasing me! Move to a coder climate what and not be able to grow such beautiful joeys, arecas, pinangas, or the odd marojejya…… I figured it would love the cold cool air. Oh well looks like Tassie will get flooded with ceroxylon along with Victoria!

13 hours ago, Jonathan said:

This ceroxylon wax palm  is being donated the the Tasmanian botanical Gardens in Hobart 

The new director is a big  palm enthusiast and will be very pleased to add this beauty to the Gardens collection for everyone to enjoy.

20240624_073417.jpg

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate

1 hour ago, Tassie_Troy1971 said:

This ceroxylon wax palm  is being donated the the Tasmanian botanical Gardens in Hobart 

The new director is a big  palm enthusiast and will be very pleased to add this beauty to the Gardens collection for everyone to enjoy.

20240624_073417.jpg

Oh well, was worth a shot!

Summer: 12°C (53°F) average min, to 21°C (70°F) average daily max. Up to 40°C (104°F max) rarely.

Winter: 6°C (43°F) average min, to 13°C (55°F) average daily max. Down to 0°C (32°F) occasionally, some light frost.

14 hours ago, happypalms said:

Now you’re teasing me! Move to a coder climate what and not be able to grow such beautiful joeys, arecas, pinangas, or the odd marojejya…… I figured it would love the cold cool air. Oh well looks like Tassie will get flooded with ceroxylon along with Victoria!

Overrated all that tropical stuff 🙄 

3 minutes ago, Jonathan said:

Overrated all that tropical stuff 🙄 

It is when you think you got it to survive then winter comes along. Killing the tender little tropical leaves. Some stuff just not worth looking at. Oh but we can dream.!

Just now, happypalms said:

It is when you think you got it to survive then winter comes along. Killing the tender little tropical leaves. Some stuff just not worth looking at. Oh but we can dream.!

Haha, you can dream...for me it's a nightmare!

10 minutes ago, Jonathan said:

Oh well, was worth a shot!

Oh well looks like happypalms will be sending a subtropical grown ceroxylon to Tassie then!

1 minute ago, Jonathan said:

Haha, you can dream...for me it's a nightmare!

A nightmare on the bank account more like it. If I kill another exotic palm iam moving to Hawaii!