• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Biennial refund

CLINODAVE

Has anyone who paid for the New Caledonia biennial trip gotten any updated info on refunds of our payment?  I understand that there were unrecoverable costs, but IPS communication suggested that there was supposed to be some level of refund nevertheless.  I have not heard any further development on this.  I just got the latest Coconuts and Crownshafts online newsletter from IPS, which mentioned supporting palm conservation through "Giving Tuesday" in December.  Which, I assume, means donating our personal funds.  Which is a great thing ordinarily.  But I'm not so inclined to donate my own money without the consideration of IPS refunding me at least some of my funds for a trip that was cancelled.

I have not heard anything. I need to make a claim to my travel insurance for the difference not refunded. But have been waiting for what to claim? I guess I need to start a claim now, since I was leaving next Saturday for the trip.

On 9/7/2024 at 3:11 AM, Barry said:

I have not heard anything. I need to make a claim to my travel insurance for the difference not refunded. But have been waiting for what to claim? I guess I need to start a claim now, since I was leaving next Saturday for the trip.

Yeah, it's a good questions.  A pal pointed out to me that there was language in the initial offering of the trip that identified most down payments as non-refundable.  Still, I don't think it would be a good look for any orgz to thumb its nose at people who forked over in excess of $4000.  My trip insurance probably wouldn't cover the high additional expenses such as my flight from HNL to SYD, where I was to make my transit to Noumea.  After all, there are no issues affecting my travel between the US and Australia.  

I find it interesting also that there has been little PT discussion about the loss of personal funds that surely must have impacted many members.  Perhaps I am one of the less affluent IPS'ers, because the wiping out of $4,000 plus in money or travel value really hurts my bank account.

I didn't plan on attending the Reunion Island Biennial, altho IIRC it did not take place because due to the advent of Covid?  Did folks get any refunds from that?

I'm waiting too. I wish I had useful information to add, but I don't. 

I am using my flights to Australia and back, but the payment to IPS is up in the air.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

On 9/8/2024 at 2:55 PM, CLINODAVE said:

I didn't plan on attending the Reunion Island Biennial, altho IIRC it did not take place because due to the advent of Covid?  Did folks get any refunds from that?

I just now saw this topic.

I can answer this part. Yes, those of us who were signed up did get refunds and a careful accounting by our treasurer.

It did take awhile (can’t recall how long).

Perhaps that experience was one of the reasons the IPS made it clear that the trip to New Caledonia was non refundable, but I have never been part of Biennial planning. 

Cindy Adair

As to getting flight cost refunds, I am aware of one other member who had booked flights to SYD and a separate flight to NOU. 

He did not opt for travel insurance, but was able to pay $99 to the airline with the SYD ticket to receive a credit good for going anywhere up to a year from the date the ticket was purchased. 

He was able to get a refund for the SYD to NOU flights by using the language in the US state department that recommends no travel to New Cal by US residents.

I did not have travel insurance (challenging for PR residents) and finally completed a truly challenging form to Aircalin which they claim will result in a cash refund in 10-12 weeks.

My flights were actually not cancelled, but I too used the State department argument and they quickly agreed to the refund. 

I can share their procedures by private message if you like. I understand others have been successful by making a credit card claim. 

Cindy Adair

Like Kim I am going to Australia and connecting with some IPS members there.

I hope to share my adventures with friends and palms on a future PT travel topic. 

On 9/8/2024 at 2:49 PM, CLINODAVE said:

I find it interesting also that there has been little PT discussion about the loss of personal funds that surely must have impacted many members.  Perhaps I am one of the less affluent IPS'ers, because the wiping out of $4,000 plus in money or travel value really hurts my bank account.

I can attest that there has been lots of behind the scenes discussion among IPS Directors.

We are devastated about the cancellation despite knowing it was absolutely necessary for safety reasons. 

Cindy Adair

Hello everyone, in case you missed it, we sent an email yesterday with an update on the New Caledonia refunds. We’ve included the update below for your reference. If you have any questions or concerns, please reach out to us at info@palms.org.

Here’s the email for more context:

Dear Biennial Registrant, We hope you’re doing well. Thank you for your continued patience regarding refunding the canceled Biennial event in New Caledonia. We understand it has been some time since our initial cancellation notice, and we want to assure you that we are diligently working to resolve all outstanding issues.

We are finalizing the refund amounts and awaiting the return of funds from our service providers. Please know that issuing your refunds is our top priority, and we are making every effort to expedite this process. We are committed to keeping you updated and informed throughout the process.

We appreciate your understanding and patience as we work through this. We will provide more detailed information about the refunds as soon as possible.

Warm regards,

International Palm Society

Biennial Refund Update.png

• Like 1