• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

ABQPalms

So I was out and about, running some errands around the Cottonwood Mall area. So I decided to check out the palms there in the area. I believe the neighborhood block been between Coors Bypass/Golf Course and Westside/McMahon has the highest concentration of palm trees in the metro. With a total of about eight at five different houses. Here are a few pics I took at two of the houses. The other locations I didn't get a chance to take pictures.  InShot_20240915_011824381.thumb.jpg.126d06db3a1132263561e68e68c13482.jpg

These two at Rayado Pl are doing great and they both have bloomed this year!InShot_20240915_011622018.thumb.jpg.7af418e72026604ff324381600747ea6.jpgInShot_20240915_012020432.thumb.jpg.eac5ca864af6f5acb9e72d925129bb47.jpgInShot_20240915_012138768.thumb.jpg.c1c0fb89fd0bcb2eb3703442ebd8076c.jpg

• Like 11
  • Upvote 2

Very nice!  Thanks for sharing.. everytime I drive around neighborhoods I see one or 2 here and there..alot of trachycarpus going in new construction areas too..

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

You're welcome!! I should've taken pictures of the other ones but I go to those smaller ones first and didn't snap to take pictures till after.  I originally said there are eight in that neighborhood but I forgot about the Mediterranean Fan across the street from that fat Filifera on Carreta Dr. So that makes it nine total so far there. 

Yeah, I've been noticing the same thing in neighborhoods too. Thank you for the support!!

• Like 1

Pretty impressive for 5,000 ft elevation and a 7b 2023 zone map, even a little 8a in town. 

• Like 2

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

• 2 weeks later...

Those hills at the end of that street definitely hold some promising microclimates.  I live just above that escarpment, or end of road.

Interesting side fact, I walk those hills near daily, and played in that area since 1976. Never knew about that palm, until a poster from out of state pointed it out on this board!

Now, I know where to look and see it from above.(Corrales heights)Screenshot_20240925-195749.thumb.png.1039879565da09b3957e3d5b49397c88.pngScreenshot_20240925-195805.thumb.png.ee1996744395c3c1a85bd3988a358a10.png

• Like 3

Yes indeed. West of the Rio Grande imo has some of the best microclimates with all the rolling hills and escarpment. Plus some UHI to add too. I saw these pictures on one of your post and I got to say, what an awesome view! How is your water hole experiment coming along?

• Like 1

On 9/25/2024 at 7:58 PM, jwitt said:

Those hills at the end of that street definitely hold some promising microclimates.  I live just above that escarpment, or end of road.

Interesting side fact, I walk those hills near daily, and played in that area since 1976. Never knew about that palm, until a poster from out of state pointed it out on this board!

Now, I know where to look and see it from above.(Corrales heights)Screenshot_20240925-195749.thumb.png.1039879565da09b3957e3d5b49397c88.pngScreenshot_20240925-195805.thumb.png.ee1996744395c3c1a85bd3988a358a10.png

Abq skyline tree.. lol... or is that a yucca palm?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SailorBold said:

This one in Corrales.  Actually you are near the end of this street!Screenshot_20240929-140659.thumb.png.967383f094ab1f6967c4cd6514c3ccf1.png

• Like 2

7 hours ago, SailorBold said:

That's actually pretty funny.  Being in the Albuquerque area when talking to people that palm trees can grow here they are always in doubt.  They always tell me that they are all Yuccas. Now a days I usually pull out my phone and show them street view to prove it to them. The Filifera on Unser and Flor Del Sol, they always try to convince my that it's a Yucca. Lol. Then I'll show them the ones on Rayado then they are more convinced but still say they are dead because street view doesn't have really good pics of them.  But now I have picture on my phone that tell them otherwise. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, tarnado said:

Is that a Hakea?

I think that's a fig.. I'm not sure tho.  Fairly common around here.. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, SailorBold said:

I think that's a fig.. I'm not sure tho.  Fairly common around here.. 

Yes, that's a Fig next to the palm tree.  The bush in the foreground, in front of the Yuccas is a Russian Thistle (the famous tumbleweed) I believe. 

• Like 1

On 9/25/2024 at 8:42 PM, ABQPalms said:

Yes indeed. West of the Rio Grande imo has some of the best microclimates with all the rolling hills and escarpment. Plus some UHI to add too. I saw these pictures on one of your post and I got to say, what an awesome view! How is your water hole experiment coming along?

About the water hole. .....

With an early start and strong monsoon start in normally dry June, the toads came out in force.  Water and toads lead to snakes. 

Long story short, I have not been to the bottom.   I will soon and update. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, jwitt said:

With an early start and strong monsoon start in normally dry June, the toads came out in force.  Water and toads lead to snakes. 

It's been a couple years since I put seeds down there.. really doubtful..

• Like 2

@SailorBold

The three in the back will enter their fifth winter. 2 in front entering their second winter. 

Did you notice this?

Screenshot_20241002-151823.thumb.png.baa4c944504e99c99ae0c0d935177f1b.png

• Like 3

Oh wow.. lol..  no i didnt...! Thats interesting.  Really not the best palm for here.. maybe 3 out of 20 winters they wont damage.. but it looks like they are recovering better and better each year.. 

20241002_125749.jpg

• Like 2

No shortage of water for the ones in front..

• Like 1

On 10/1/2024 at 6:04 AM, jwitt said:

Yeah, I don't do snakes at all. It don't matter if it's a garden snake, you'll still see me running for the hills, lol. There are a couple more around here on the Westside that might be promising too.

On 10/1/2024 at 10:16 AM, SailorBold said:

It's been a couple years since I put seeds down there.. really doubtful..

I like the reverse psychology there, lol. Wouldn't it be quite a surprise if there were something though?

• Like 3

5 hours ago, SailorBold said:

Surviving Date palms..  

20241002_125754.jpg

20241002_125559.jpg

20241002_125748.jpg

20241002_125730.jpg

Very nice!

3 hours ago, jwitt said:

@SailorBold

The three in the back will enter their fifth winter. 2 in front entering their second winter. 

Did you notice this?

Screenshot_20241002-151823.thumb.png.baa4c944504e99c99ae0c0d935177f1b.png

I thought the three in the back were planted in 2021? Nevertheless they are pretty much established, wouldn't you say?? Those pups should really be hardy though. It's almost like the sowing straight in ground method. 

30 minutes ago, SailorBold said:

Oh wow.. lol..  no i didnt...! Thats interesting.  Really not the best palm for here.. maybe 3 out of 20 winters they wont damage.. but it looks like they are recovering better and better each year.. 

20241002_125749.jpg

Yeah, I wish they would've went with a hardier Washingtonia to replace the two Robustas that didn't make it. Those are some nice Dactyliferas though, it just sucks that they grow so slow so their recovery isn't 100%. It's like they're hurricane cut all the time with how few fronds they push out. 

24 minutes ago, SailorBold said:

No shortage of water for the ones in front..

Yes, that grassy area probably does help out a lot.  Maybe that's why they look fuller than the three in the back?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ABQPalms said:

Those are some nice Dactyliferas though, it just sucks that they grow so slow so their recovery isn't 100%. It's like they're hurricane cut all the time with how few fronds they push out. 

Yes, that grassy area probably does help out a lot.  Maybe that's why they look fuller than the three in the back?

Or maybe they just need more time to develop their roots, then maybe they'll start pushing out more fronds. 

• Like 1

I think @ABQPalms is right on the planting dates. So entering their fourth and second winter. 

As far as the roots and water, the water table is probably not more than 15'(if not less) in that area.  They will tap into that water if they become established, probably about there with the three in the back. 

I think a clustering/clumping format would be the best for this area.  That and planted on the SE facing side of a 10 story rock cliff/ building. 

Those three surely saw single digits their first two winters.

The temps shown are Corrales and my neighborhood(Rio Rancho) in February 2022.  Almost unbelievable!

Almost....more to the story!

CorralesScreenshot_20241002-213208.thumb.png.e3906f6cc8da8a585f1356032d5944ed.png

Rio RanchoScreenshot_20241002-213113.thumb.png.e28ba8d49011a86ccbb4745ec7ccf909.png

• Like 2

@ABQPalmsAs far as snakes, I am pretty good for the most part. 

Throw in countless toads with the actual "roar" they make. Yes, there are that many, you can hear them a couple blocks away.  Throw in the waist high pampas grass, weeds, etc. and a dog or two.  I just kind of avoid. 

On a side note, I have seen lizards down at the bottom every month of the year. 

Probably the noise is what actually freaks me out a bit at certain times.  

I will be back

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, jwitt said:

I think @ABQPalms is right on the planting dates. So entering their fourth and second winter. 

As far as the roots and water, the water table is probably not more than 15'(if not less) in that area.  They will tap into that water if they become established, probably about there with the three in the back. 

I think a clustering/clumping format would be the best for this area.  That and planted on the SE facing side of a 10 story rock cliff/ building. 

Those three surely saw single digits their first two winters.

The temps shown are Corrales and my neighborhood(Rio Rancho) in February 2022.  Almost unbelievable!

Almost....more to the story!

CorralesScreenshot_20241002-213208.thumb.png.e3906f6cc8da8a585f1356032d5944ed.png

Rio RanchoScreenshot_20241002-213113.thumb.png.e28ba8d49011a86ccbb4745ec7ccf909.png

Yes, the clustering/clumping would be so beneficial on protecting eachother from the elements. They give a tropical/oasis look to a landscape as well. Something like @SailorBold three Filiferas which looks awesome! 

And with the planting in front of a multi-story building? Yes, especially a south southwest or even west side of a building. Maybe like apartment complexes or hotel building would be great to start with around this area. 

I'm on weather.gov a lot checking out data in Albuquerque as well as other cities. I like to see how much colder we were dating back to the late 1800's vs. now. The one thing though, is that the Rio Rancho #2 data only goes back to the end of 2007 as it's a newer city. 

• Like 1

Love these threads about my hometown and the evolution of palm tree survivability over the years. I grew up around the Coronado Center area before there was a Coronado Center, Louisiana Blvd. had not yet been paved and no freeway either. I could go on and on. Yeah, been around awhile. 

Some early pioneering souls used to plant small Wahingtonia in their front yards in early spring and they flourished throughout summer and fall. As a kid I used to alter my bike route just so I could look at them. Winters were brutal back then and they never had a chance of survival. One good thing though, it’s where my love of palms began. Little did I know then that the attraction would turn into a passion and lead me to reside in Hilo, Hi., where growing palm trees have almost no limits and my garden is truly my happy place.

Tim

• Like 3

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

5 hours ago, realarch said:

Love these threads about my hometown and the evolution of palm tree survivability over the years. I grew up around the Coronado Center area before there was a Coronado Center, Louisiana Blvd. had not yet been paved and no freeway either. I could go on and on. Yeah, been around awhile. 

Some early pioneering souls used to plant small Wahingtonia in their front yards in early spring and they flourished throughout summer and fall. As a kid I used to alter my bike route just so I could look at them. Winters were brutal back then and they never had a chance of survival. One good thing though, it’s where my love of palms began. Little did I know then that the attraction would turn into a passion and lead me to reside in Hilo, Hi., where growing palm trees have almost no limits and my garden is truly my happy place.

Tim

Tim- what we are finding out is part of the NW mesa/Rio rancho are protected from those nasty east winds which bring the Arctic palm killing events.  This area is fairly newly developed and differences in plant ability/survival is being demonstrated. 

I am also linked to the big island with property just "mauka" from Miloliʻi and married to a Hawaiian . Small world!

• Like 2

Hey Jim, how cool is that! Give a holler the next time you are on island and have time for a trip to the East side. Love to show you, or any other Albuquerqueans, the experience of growing palms here on the Big Island.

Tim

• Like 2

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Volunteer? This washy is growing pretty close to a west facing wall in the back of the Lovelace Women's Hospital on Montgomery and Jefferson. Street view shows it as a little seedling back in 2014. There were no known flowering palms at the time. I'm thinking someone might have dropped a seed or planted it really small to see what would happen.  It's in a fairly good spot and does get afternoon sun. I suspect this to really take off next year. If it were fertilized I'd imagine it'd be a lot bigger. I could imagine some big ones in the front of this building would look really nice!

The Agaves look impressive as well!

InShot_20241003_174515002.jpg

Screenshot_20241003_175305_Maps.jpg

Screenshot_20241003_175319_Maps.jpg

Screenshot_20241003_175328_Maps.jpg

Screenshot_20241003_175342_Maps.jpg

Screenshot_20241003_175353_Maps.jpg

Screenshot_20241003_175410_Maps.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, ABQPalms said:

Volunteer? This washy is growing pretty close to a west facing wall in the back of the Lovelace Women's Hospital on Montgomery and Jefferson. Street view shows it as a little seedling back in 2014. There were no known flowering palms at the time. I'm thinking someone might have dropped a seed or planted it really small to see what would happen.  It's in a fairly good spot and does get afternoon sun. I suspect this to really take off next year. If it were fertilized I'd imagine it'd be a lot bigger. I could imagine some big ones in the front of this building would look really nice!

The Agaves look impressive as well!

InShot_20241003_174515002.jpg

Screenshot_20241003_175305_Maps.jpg

Screenshot_20241003_175319_Maps.jpg

Screenshot_20241003_175328_Maps.jpg

Screenshot_20241003_175342_Maps.jpg

Screenshot_20241003_175353_Maps.jpg

Screenshot_20241003_175410_Maps.jpg

Here it the street view from 2014. I thought I attached it but I guess not. 

Screenshot_20241003_175208_Maps.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, realarch said:

Hey Jim, how cool is that! Give a holler the next time you are on island and have time for a trip to the East side. Love to show you, or any other Albuquerqueans, the experience of growing palms here on the Big Island.

Tim

Thanks for the invite. Would definitely be cool. And don't be surprised if you hear from me in the not too far future.

@ABQPalmsseen that "volunteer" thing happen with newly planted  trees a handful of times around town.  Although never saw them live more than 5 years or so.  I am talking over thirty years ago, as I was all over regularly (job). 

I felt they were volunteers in the pots...

Cool find!  Another San Mateo filifera in 25 years!

Edit: looked again at the size. Maybe 15-20 years!

. Then I look again....  is there another palmophile using rocks for seedlings in central NM other than me?.......smart!

@ABQPalmswhat else you got up your sleeve?

Screenshot_20241003-211121.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, jwitt said:

@ABQPalmsseen that "volunteer" thing happen with newly planted  trees a handful of times around town.  Although never saw them live more than 5 years or so.  I am talking over thirty years ago, as I was all over regularly (job). 

I felt they were volunteers in the pots...

I've seen people plant small 1 gallon sized washys in there yard in the past also.  They were more likely Robustas, that's why they didn't last. Believe me, I've made the same mistake. I'm starting to see more and more Filiferas planted small and they all seem to be taking real good. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jwitt said:

Cool find!  Another San Mateo filifera in 25 years!

Edit: looked again at the size. Maybe 15-20 years!

Yes, like the one on La Veta NE. I really think a palmy area (besides the Westside) could be between Academy to Central and Carlisle to Louisiana. I think it has some really good UHI going on in that area. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, jwitt said:

Then I look again....  is there another palmophile using rocks for seedlings in central NM other than me?.......smart!

@ABQPalmswhat else you got up your sleeve?

I really think that we can benefit from all the xeriscape landscaping. Set a seed in some gravel has a more chance at survival than say grass, as seedling is more likely to get mowed down. Plus you get the radiated heat from the sun.

@jwittI will post more pictures from around town soon. 

• Like 1

It's good to see the agave americanas making a comeback..

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SailorBold said:

It's good to see the agave americanas making a comeback..

Yes and they do really well here!

A couple of future monster Filiferas around the Westside. Taken yesterday. There is another one that I was on my way to take a picture of but I got a bolt in my front tire so I could make it. It's roughly the same size. NE of Unser and Montaño. Street name is Pima Pl. in a cul-de-sac. 

InShot_20241005_140139926.jpg

InShot_20241005_140249227.jpg

InShot_20241005_140520387.jpg

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, ABQPalms said:

A couple of future monster Filiferas around the Westside. Taken yesterday. There is another one that I was on my way to take a picture of but I got a bolt in my front tire so I could make it. It's roughly the same size. NE of Unser and Montaño. Street name is Pima Pl. in a cul-de-sac. 

InShot_20241005_140139926.jpg

InShot_20241005_140249227.jpg

InShot_20241005_140520387.jpg

This one can possibly become a double!

InShot_20241006_124452933.jpg

• Like 4