• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

ABQPalms

4 hours ago, ABQPalms said:

We have a dry desert climate here vs a wet humid climate that keeps them dormant in the winter. Well drained soil and dry air are key to help them survive.

Plus the types of species that are best selected for our area. Washingtonia Filifera do best here. Then Filibusta. Trachycarpus Fortunei do good if you keep them irrigated during the summer months (they do and look best in the Pacific NW). A lot of people used to plant Washingtonia Robustas here about 15 years ago (including me) because big box stores used to sell them. They just aren't as hardy as the other Washingtonia species. 

Yes, Filifera doesn't mind the dry cold at all.  Trachy would be ok with the irrigation like you said.  Robustas would be a no-go without protective methods.  If it rained more there, Sabal minors would work well as well.  I imagine they are high maintenance in that climate.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ABQPalms said:

Yeah. You can't see the trunk in this pic but it's very thick! Plus the fronds are pretty Filiferish in size and color. 

I think I might have just came up with a new word "Filiferish". Lol

This is the kind of Filifera you don't normally see in many areas of the country.  Usually you see them with the larger trunks/less bushy appearance.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Palmerr said:

Ok that makes sense yeah i remember hearing about that i guess i just forgot lol well thats cool! Yeah it makes sense California Fans are a zone hardier than robusta and a little hardier than filabusta.

Filiferas or filifera dominant filibusta is the best choices here.

3 hours ago, RFun said:

Yes, Filifera doesn't mind the dry cold at all.  Trachy would be ok with the irrigation like you said.  Robustas would be a no-go without protective methods.  If it rained more there, Sabal minors would work well as well.  I imagine they are high maintenance in that climate.

There are a couple Sabal Minors here in town. You really can't notice them because they are so small. San Angelo, TX is probably the eastern most city with Sabal Palmettos. There are some Sabal Mexicanas at the zoo here that are growing really nice. 

10 hours ago, ABQPalms said:

Yeah. You can't see the trunk in this pic but it's very thick! Plus the fronds are pretty Filiferish in size and color. 

I think I might have just came up with a new word "Filiferish". Lol

Lol.. with how confusing the hybrids are i started using the term... robustifera...to try and distinguish if they're robusta x filifera.. or filifera x robusta (filibusta).. .. just guessing for sake of discussion..

Pic 1. Filifera

Pic 2. ?

Pic 3.  Filibusta

Pic 4. Robustifera

• Like 1

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

13 minutes ago, SailorBold said:

Lol.. with how confusing the hybrids are i started using the term... robustifera...to try and distinguish if they're robusta x filifera.. or filifera x robusta (filibusta).. .. just guessing for sake of discussion..

Pic 1. Filifera

Pic 2. ?

Pic 3.  Filibusta

Pic 4. Robustifera

Lol. Nice (Robustifera). I'm thinking pic #2 is Filifera. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SailorBold said:

Pic 1. Filifera

Pic 2. ?

Pic 3.  Filibusta

Pic 4. Robustifera

Isn't pic 4 the San Mateo? And looks to be seeding.  Another first, from seed to seed! Possibly from the earlier burning!

Screenshot_20241021-221659.thumb.png.cacce94eab0d8d10d346c1c6005545ab.pngimage.thumb.jpeg.c5505334941fd9687e6ce669fb1e2537.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jwitt said:

Isn't pic 4 the San Mateo? And looks to be seeding.  Another first, from seed to seed! Possibly from the earlier burning!

Screenshot_20241021-221659.thumb.png.cacce94eab0d8d10d346c1c6005545ab.pngimage.thumb.jpeg.c5505334941fd9687e6ce669fb1e2537.jpeg

I believe it seeded last year if I'm not mistaken. I remember when I went to check it out in March of 2022 and it was burnt to a crisp. I was kind of devastated to see it. But then it came back like a champ! It goes to show that they really are fire retardant as the tribe used to burn them in their native habitat. I truly believe it promoted it to put out seed. Would I suggest it? No Way, but this palm is a living example of what it is capable of and how intelligent the people were to figure out ways to survive!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, ABQPalms said:

I believe it seeded last year if I'm not mistaken. I remember when I went to check it out in March of 2022 and it was burnt to a crisp. I was kind of devastated to see it. But then it came back like a champ! It goes to show that they really are fire retardant as the tribe used to burn them in their native habitat. I truly believe it promoted it to put out seed. Would I suggest it? No Way, but this palm is a living example of what it is capable of and how intelligent the people were to figure out ways to survive!

@jwitt Here it is in Feb 2022.

Screenshot_20241021_232809_Maps.jpg

• Like 3

I wish we could grow them here. Unfortunately the winters are too wet and cold spells too prolonged. 

Only ones I ever saw were at a hotel down in Tifton (GA - long gone now), and at Joe LeVert's high school garden. I don't know what he has out there these days.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, ABQPalms said:

Lol. Nice (Robustifera). I'm thinking pic #2 is Filifera. 

Actually.. got em mixed up...

1. Filifera

2.filifera

3. Robustifera

4 filibusta

• Like 1

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

9 hours ago, SailorBold said:

Actually.. got em mixed up...

1. Filifera

2.filifera

3. Robustifera

4 filibusta

I didn't even snap about those two being flipped.  Yes, the one on La Veta is definitely a filifera with a nice thick trunk. Picture #3 is on Princess Jeanne Ave NE and has a slightly thinner trunk and a Robusta style crown in my opinion. 

Hi! New here and wanted to introduce myself and share with everyone some of the palms that I’ve be growing here on my property in northern Rio Rancho (upper Enchanted Hills), New Mexico. Any advice or input would be appreciated!

6BDD73E8-B6F4-4AD1-AC4A-548E83F65BDA.thumb.jpeg.feba0649543126fced68a6639a917f20.jpeg
IMG_4675.thumb.jpeg.ed12fba0a16727397d1bf69023b86831.jpeg

This is a before and after photo of one of my three Robustas growing on the west side of my home. Purchased and planted in early spring of 2023 it has tripled its trunk width within that time span. For winter of 2023 I had wrapped a heating coil around its trunk and covered the entirety of the palm in green large bubble  wrap. I used this method for all of my yard palms for winter of 2023, but would like to try a more efficient way this year.

5BB0F049-7EDE-4D52-83D8-1FBA341BB382.thumb.jpeg.6c78b554d351ded2ff1b4e223a96bf83.jpeg

IMG_4668.thumb.jpeg.297204fb2bedcc58b2f8e83059c0b62b.jpeg

Another before and after with almost a 2 year span. This Robusta is in my east facing backyard and was put in a 2 months after my north facing palm, yet has outgrown the front palm. Possibly due to my pond’s  run-off and receiving all day sun. The front only receives full sun at about 13:00 during the summer.

IMG_4671.thumb.jpeg.aca6aa8fc4fd4d6bf51a185afcbec84a.jpeg

This is the newest Robusta planted this summer. Also placed in my north-facing backyard. This one is steadily growing, just not as fast because it doesn’t gallons of daily pond runoff.

IMG_4672.thumb.jpeg.b35e5fafca58c15cc09d0bc29464ef8d.jpeg

This Mediterranean/European is one of two that I have. It’s planted on the south facing side of my house against the stucco and was planted in the spring of 2023. It also made it through the winter of 2023 just wrapped. No heat wire.

IMG_4670.thumb.jpeg.647ef26dfb334c890c30653d3bff10d8.jpeg

My other newest Mediterranean planted this summer. East facing. Nothing special lol

IMG_4677.thumb.jpeg.9e77b701a2e9102e7c901b2d5ab674e2.jpeg

My Butia Capitata. Purchased and planted this past spring next to my west facing driveway. I don’t know too much about these jelly/pinto palms besides them being a cold hardy specimen. This will be its first winter and am researching whether to wrap it up or not.

IMG_4673.thumb.jpeg.b0885bff82a83175ee893083b0a251d4.jpeg

I have 3 of these needle palms in pots purchased this past March, but thinking about finding a good spot for them in-ground. They grow to be bush-like and as of right now I have to make room for them by removing a couple rose bushes from the previous homeowners. But I’m confident these will do fine through the winter unprotected. They came from Ohio growing year round outdoors.

Those are my palms. Any input or suggestions would be helpful. Maybe I’m overdoing the protection. I do know that when March came around and I removed all the protection every palm turned yellow. They were bright green upon unwrapping. I think maybe due to the shock of temperature change. I monitor the inside of the wrap with temp sensors and all winter the palms stayed a toasty 80° during the day and 60° at night. April was stayed above freezing for the most part so I figured it’d be safe to unwrap. They were bright green and healthy for a day or two then the fronds started to yellow. I ended up having to snip off all the fronds. The Mediterranean that flowered also did the same. Turned yellow and had to snip the fronds off, but it was happy I guess because it flowered within a month.

IMG_2480.dng

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Highdesertdave said:

Hi! New here and wanted to introduce myself and share with everyone some of the palms that I’ve be growing here on my property in northern Rio Rancho (upper Enchanted Hills), New Mexico. Any advice or input would be appreciated!

6BDD73E8-B6F4-4AD1-AC4A-548E83F65BDA.thumb.jpeg.feba0649543126fced68a6639a917f20.jpeg

This is a before and after photo of one of my three Robustas growing on the west side of my home. Purchased and planted in early spring of 2023 it has tripled its trunk width within that time span. For winter of 2023 I had wrapped a heating coil around its trunk and covered the entirety of the palm in green large bubble  wrap. I used this method for all of my yard palms for winter of 2023, but would like to try a more efficient way this year.

5BB0F049-7EDE-4D52-83D8-1FBA341BB382.thumb.jpeg.6c78b554d351ded2ff1b4e223a96bf83.jpeg

Another before and after with almost a 2 year span. This Robusta is in my east facing backyard and was put in a 2 months after my north facing palm, yet has outgrown the front palm. Possibly due to my pond’s  run-off and receiving all day sun. The front only receives full sun at about 13:00 during the summer.

This is the newest Robusta planted this summer. Also placed in my north-facing backyard. This one is steadily growing, just not as fast because it doesn’t gallons of daily pond runoff.

IMG_2484.mov 24.48 MB · 0 downloads  

This Mediterranean/European is one of two that I have. It’s planted on the south facing side of my house against the stucco and was planted in the spring of 2023. It also made it through the winter of 2023 just wrapped. No heat wire.

My other newest Mediterranean planted this summer. East facing. Nothing special lol

My Butia Capitata. Purchased and planted this past spring next to my west facing driveway. I don’t know too much about these jelly/pinto palms besides them being a cold hardy specimen. This will be its first winter and am researching whether to wrap it up or not.

I have 3 of these needle palms in pots purchased this past March, but thinking about finding a good spot for them in-ground. They grow to be bush-like and as of right now I have to make room for them by removing a couple rose bushes from the previous homeowners. But I’m confident these will do fine through the winter unprotected. They came from Ohio growing year round outdoors.

Those are my palms. Any input or suggestions would be helpful. Maybe I’m overdoing the protection. I do know that when March came around and I removed all the protection every palm turned yellow. They were bright green upon unwrapping. I think maybe due to the shock of temperature change. I monitor the inside of the wrap with temp sensors and all winter the palms stayed a toasty 80° during the day and 60° at night. April was stayed above freezing for the most part so I figured it’d be safe to unwrap. They were bright green and healthy for a day or two then the fronds started to yellow. I ended up having to snip off all the fronds. The Mediterranean that flowered also did the same. Turned yellow and had to snip the fronds off, but it was happy I guess because it flowered within a month.

IMG_2480.dng 15.29 MB · 5 downloads

Everything looks good. I will warn you though, the robustas will get hard to protect as they grow. Time to search for W.filifera or seeds to germinate off-season.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Highdesertdave said:

Very nice specimens Dave! They are really taking off already. Especially being up in Enchanted Hills. I see you probably purchased them from Lowe's? Big box stores here used to sell them as pure Robustas (or Robusta dominant) in the 2000's to early '10's. I don't see really any red on the petioles of yours which is a good thing. But the fronds look more Robusta in color and not really hairy. You might have a near 50-50 percent hybrids. 

As for winter protection, I'm not a huge fan of wrapping them up because it causes condensation. But if I were you (and there is a possibility that they are more Robusta), I would use burlap as opposed to bubble wrap. It might reduce the yellowing of the fronds come spring. Also a good method is to wrap them with incandescent Christmas lights. 

Other then that, you are really doing a great job! 

• Like 1

On 10/25/2024 at 5:26 PM, Highdesertdave said:

Welcome neighbor and welcome to palmtalk!

I cannot speak to butia and or needle palms as I have never grown them.  My observations cover nearly 50 years in the ABQ metro.  My hunch on butia and needles are they prefer a bit less alkaline conditions found here.  I do recommend butia hybrids and hopefully a fellow poster may respond. 

I do not protect my palms. Something about wanting to sleep at night.  What I have observed is that robusta are at best a 3-5 year palm here.  Even protected, they are short lived. 

That said, I can speak to filifera, Trachy, and med palms.  I highly recommend all three with caveats. 

Trachy- they will do just fine here in full sun(not reflected). They need a consistent supply moisture, like a lawn(which I see you have).  A slight knock on the alkaline, I use coffee grounds sporadically.  Leaf hardy to upper single digits 8-10f. 20241027133150.thumb.jpg.a9a81ba6414ee1152a40e65cc32180d1.jpg20240731171817.thumb.jpg.1186a25fde974146f190c9d0ecdbbc8d.jpg

A quick window shot(unprotected -10f survivor)

Med palm- Another -10f survivor,  unprotected.  I suggest against a south wall,east, west wall.  North wall recovery is too slow(mine and it -10f was on a north wall and followed the next winter at zero.  Leaf hardy to 10f.  Varying damage below. IMG_20241027_123312_MP.thumb.jpg.b285d0fa288f7c23933b048022258815.jpgIMG_20241012_080956_MP.thumb.jpg.522d8166c8dc37df202fa9051d810270.jpg

Filifera- My "specialty". This palm is all about roots.  Unless planting as a young seedlings(1-2 years), the plant will be set back 2-3 years. You will get better results planting directly from seed, if possible.  Also stop watering from balloon fiesta to daffodil blooming season. Ensure you are getting pure or nearly so.  I kind of discuss this and my passive protection used for this very purpose in this ongoing thread. Long read, highly recommend if interested in this palm.  Leaf hardy to about 12f. 

IMG_20241012_081027_MP.thumb.jpg.afbf6a226c131669da78d5939785c716.jpg

All that said, Enchanted hills is on the fringes of what I call the palm zone in the metro. East winds do start to come into play as the Sandias end just to the ne and some blocking is lost.  Our palm killing Arctic cold comes from the east.  This is somewhat a  key understanding for long-term growth. US_Route_550_with_Sandia_Mountains_(32133362550).thumb.jpg.0527eab1a1fc718e81251fee60dc1be0.jpg

You are in somewhat of a thermal belt, and even Bernalillo is the same when comparing  What am I saying with all this east wind stuff? I will give you two charts. I lived this event and saw trachies survive in the valley just south of Bernalillo. 

While Bernalillo had much colder lows than the sunport, the high temperatures are vastly different. Incredibly so! That is the key!Screenshot_20241027-133549.thumb.png.3bd7988cb8060191402fbcd11d7d2268.png

• Upvote 1