• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sticky threads

Beachsider

Does this forum have sticky threads anywhere? Maybe I haven’t found them? I know the group has been around a long time. Have sticky threads ever been used in the past? I participate in another huge online community called Reef2Reef. It’s a huge forum like this one for marine aquariums. The sticky threads are used for rules of thumb for success in the hobby. How to do water changes, balancing general aquarium chemistry, husbandry and cultivation, pests, etc. It is useful for newbies and those user who may only drop in to ask a few questions because they don’t have to look far for answers for the most common questions. I asked a fertilizer question in another thread that prompted me asking. I imagine those same questions are asked quite often. 

Sounds cold, but I like them a lot because members can refer newer members to look to the sticky’s for answers to common questions rather than having to address them all directly each time they pop up. It builds like an encyclopedia if you will. 

Thoughts? 

• Like 1

@Beachsider

Overall, not a bad idea. 

One of the issues we'd run into doing that is that, at least on some issues, everyone has their own "truth".  For a recent example:

https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/topic/86181-video-about-tropical-places-that-can-freeze/

Nothing wrong with diverse viewpoints, but we'd have to be very selective about who could write the FAQs and responses and on what topics.  Like @PALM MOD states, forums by their nature are a free-for-all.

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

The biggest problem with suggestions such as above is that in practice establishing and maintaining such an “encyclopedia” is a tremendous amount of work - and it never ends - as constant editing and keeping things up to date is necessary.

And while initially there may be enthusiasm and volunteers willing to create such a project, eventually they “move on,” and having a poorly maintained and antiquated reference can turn into more of a liability than an asset. 

The idea of having a convenient way to convey such basic information is a good one. And there may be other ways to achieve it. I have always encouraged those wanting such knowledge to become familiar with our advanced search feature.

Another method might be to retroactively edit and attach tags to existing posts that impart “nuggets” or useful information - such as “Weed Control,” Germination Techniques,” Container Fertiilzing,” “Transplanting Advice,” etc. etc. etc. But again - that requires ongoing work and supervision.

• Like 1

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.