• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Ants all around my potted triple king

Christopher Dillman

Suddenly appeared. Climbing up and into two of the palms. Also see evidence of them burrowing into soil.

So far palm looks okay. 

Recommendation for a palm-safe spray?

20240922_144750.jpg

20240922_144813.jpg

20240922_144759.jpg

Hi! You could spray to kill the ants with any spray like Sevin, or Captain Jacks from Home Depot. All safe for oramentals, fruits and vegetables. But I would try to dig around and follow the ant line to see what the ants are after. It has to be something in the soil or roots somewhere. They don't eat palms but will eat things that are in the soil or roots like mealy bug sap, scale, aphids sap, etc. You just want to try to get to the root of the problem so the ants won't come back 

• Like 1

I never use sprays for ants, always a bait like Amdro.  I'd agree with MJ though, figure out why they are there and what they are going after.  If the palm is infested with aphids or mealybugs, for example, treat the aphids and the ants will go elsewhere.  Generally speaking ants are not a pest to be concerned with, but if they are "farming" aphids or mealybugs you'll probably need to kill the ants too.  For the most part the only ants I ever bait are fire ants. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Merlyn said:

.. for example, treat the aphids and the ants will go elsewhere..

To be safe, I could spray it for aphids and mealys. Any recommendations on a product? Thank you!

2 hours ago, Christopher Dillman said:

To be safe, I could spray it for aphids and mealys. Any recommendations on a product? Thank you!

I'd figure out what (if anything) the ants are going after.  Stuff that kills aphids and mealybugs won't do anything on spider mites.  And it could be something benign like springtails in the soil.  It should only take a few minutes to watch the ants and figure out why they are there.  Maybe they just like nesting in the bases of old fronds.  I usually find small black ants in the bases of old queen, foxtail and chinese palm fronds.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MJSanDiego said:

Hi! You could spray to kill the ants with any spray like Sevin, or Captain Jacks from Home Depot. 

Is the Captain Jack's their 'Super Insecticidal Soap'? And a-ok to spray on palms?

4 hours ago, Christopher Dillman said:

Suddenly appeared. Climbing up and into two of the palms. Also see evidence of them burrowing into soil.

So far palm looks okay. 

Recommendation for a palm-safe spray?

20240922_144750.jpg

20240922_144813.jpg

20240922_144759.jpg

If you are concerned about chemicals around your kids the simple solution to try first is a combination.   Get a nozzle head designed for high pressure spray tp remove aphids and mealy bugs.  In Carlsbad, that is probably the issue.  Next treat the ants with  a bait where their nest originates. 

It is simple, relatively harmless and will likely resolve your situation.   Be assured that over time they both will return.  Unless you want to constantly want to use systematic treatment.  I don't but others may.

• Like 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

52 minutes ago, Christopher Dillman said:

Is the Captain Jack's their 'Super Insecticidal Soap'? And a-ok to spray on palms?

Absolutely.  It's organic and we use it on highly sensitive ornamental tropical plants called Hoyas and it's perfectly safe. It kills aphids, mealy bugs, scale, powdery mildew, spiders, earwigs, ants and more. You can spray into the soil

• Like 1

If you wanted to go with a systemic look for something with Imidacloprid. Big box stores sell the stuff. I just treated a tree that the ants were putting aphids on. The label said it was for roses and I thought, "SO!!?? It's Imidicloprid!" 

Yeah, aphids are gone now...

• Like 2

Oakley, California

55 Miles E-NE of San Francisco, CA

Solid zone 9, I can expect at least one night in the mid to low twenties every year.

Hot, dry summers. Cold, wet winters.

50 minutes ago, Patrick said:

If you wanted to go with a systemic look for something with Imidacloprid. Big box stores sell the stuff.

Interesting! So rookie me I entered that ingredient into the HomeDepot search box, and it returned with over two dozen products.

I do use that BioAdvanced Rose & Flower insect killer on my house plants and works like a charm. Would that work on outdoor palms?

It's all the same stuff so yeah. It's just all about  figuring out the right amount for your size tree. Not sure how to figure that in your case. I've searched out and bought the actual stuff before. Name brand is Merit 2f but it's expensive. These days I figure chems are chems and I don't care who makes it as long as it's the right pesticide... That rose stuff is what I used- I had forgotten the brand. Blue bottle. It think I just did the mix they recommended in a 2 gallon watering can and dumped it on the roots. I think it was 1oz per gallon or something? Again, I forget lol

• Like 1

Oakley, California

55 Miles E-NE of San Francisco, CA

Solid zone 9, I can expect at least one night in the mid to low twenties every year.

Hot, dry summers. Cold, wet winters.

On 9/23/2024 at 7:08 PM, Patrick said:

If you wanted to go with a systemic look for something with Imidacloprid. Big box stores sell the stuff. I just treated a tree that the ants were putting aphids on. The label said it was for roses and I thought, "SO!!?? It's Imidicloprid!" 

Yeah, aphids are gone now...

I do not think, that imidacloprid is effective on sucking bugs.

3 hours ago, Phoenikakias said:

I do not think, that imidacloprid is effective on sucking bugs.

The neonicotinoids are one of the most effective systemics for sucking bugs like scale and aphids.  They are also blamed for bee colony collapse, though the research is questionable.  Essentially they looked at neonicotinoid use and did a simple correlation with colony collapse, but failed to look at the time of year it was applied, duration of systemic effect and the flowering/bee foraging times.  It's a classic example of "bad science."  Imadicloprid is highly effective against aphids, mealybugs, and most other scale insects.  It's not good against asian cycad scale, but Dinotefuran is.

• Like 1

There usually ants around my garden . Some of the ants start swarming in great numbers , then I will spray some form of spray but it is temporary . I rarely see any scale or mealy bug but if I do , I use a soapy solution and manually remove the offenders. When I was looking for a spray , the fellow at my favorite nursery told ants are a healthy sign in a garden so don’t get too concerned . I do spray around door thresholds and windows every few months because when the weather turns warm or if it rains they want to come in the house! Harry

Hi Christopher,

It sounds like the ants may have set up a nest in the soil or could be attracted to something like sap or pests (like aphids) on the palm. Here’s a safe, effective approach to manage them:

Palm-Safe Sprays:

• Neem Oil: Mix with water and spray on affected areas to repel ants and target pests.
  • Mild Dish Soap Solution: Mix 1-2 tsp of dish soap per quart of water, spray on ants, and rinse leaves after a few hours.

Soil Treatment:

• Diatomaceous Earth: Sprinkle on soil to dehydrate ants.
  • Cinnamon: Sprinkle on the soil to repel ants.

Prevention:

• Water thoroughly to disturb nests.
  • Check for pests like aphids or scale that might attract ants.

Thanks!