• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

A few plants to pot up

happypalms

With some good rainfall in our area it’s certainly too wet to work in the garden. So just a wonder in the greenhouse potting up a couple of varieties this time hetrospathe woodfordiana, a single dypsis plumosa from my seed almost black in appearance and a few little dypsis faneva.

IMG_9985.jpeg

IMG_9982.jpeg

IMG_9987.jpeg

IMG_9980.jpeg

• Like 1

Nothing like a nature’s watering technique, a good soaking. Nice batch of palms for potting to keep busy . That Dypsis Plumosa looks nice . For me , they are one of the fastest growing so far , of the three I recently planted. Harry

42 minutes ago, Harry’s Palms said:

Nothing like a nature’s watering technique, a good soaking. Nice batch of palms for potting to keep busy . That Dypsis Plumosa looks nice . For me , they are one of the fastest growing so far , of the three I recently planted. Harry

With more rain coming and minor flooding. Iam sur the garden will appreciate it. They are a fast growing palm the plumosa.  There  leaves tend to break at the leaf sheath hanging down before they are ready to fall off looking like they have had a beating in the wind. I thought it was wind damage but even the one I have in a protected area still does it. The faneva Iam definitely keen to plant out. 
Richard 

• Like 1

So far , my young Plumosa is holding its own but the Baselonga has to be wired up or the petiole can’t hold the large leaflets. Harry

10 minutes ago, Harry’s Palms said:

So far , my young Plumosa is holding its own but the Baselonga has to be wired up or the petiole can’t hold the large leaflets. Harry

Now the basilonga is a good palm.Keep the good palms coming Harry. I have a hundred seeds in customs now waiting for clearance. Hopefully a few germinate I have three in my garden now,definitely want more of them. 
Richard 

Thank you Richard . That trip down to @DoomsDave showed me that I can grow some pretty interesting stuff. I came home with palms that I had never heard of . Now my palm collector friend wants to go down there at some point . I am not sure when we will make another trip but I am pretty sure he will come with me. There are palms he wants and Dave says he has them . As for me, I just look around and Dave pulls out interesting palms that will grow here and shows me what they look like when they get older. You already know a lot about different varieties and others you are willing to take chance . I am still keeping fingers crossed as we edge closer to winter. It has been dipping below 60f in the morning a couple of times. Harry