• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What has grown faster than you expected?

Ben G.

What palms have you grown that have proved after than conventional wisdom would have assumed?

Probably my most surprising grower has been my little nannorrhops. When I got it in late May, it sat in a hot mailbox too long. So its only two little strap leaves shriveled and died. It quickly started sending out new growth though. It has grown six new leaves in 4 months. That's not crazy, but it is faster than most young palms grow in my experience.

End of May:

PXL_20240528_003454552_MP.thumb.jpg.01f0b2bff25ebdac5b7140960054a925.jpg

Today:

PXL_20241009_232339779.thumb.jpg.8883eceee976949f9227429a5e1678ea.jpg

• Like 10

14 hours ago, Dwarf Fan said:

Chamaedorea radicalis has been a really fast grower in my climate. 

Until recently I only had one little radicalis, but they do seem to grow pretty well. Mine usually grew about 4 new fronds each growing season in Oklahoma.

5 hours ago, DTS said:

My Butia Odorata started opening up fronds like it never had transplant shock since April.

Nice. I love it when plants just take right off when we put them in the ground. My washingtonia did that too. I know that washingtonias are pretty good growers generally, but I was still surprised.

It wasn't growing at all in it's pot, but it took off as soon as it went in the ground.

I hope your butia continues to grow well for you.

• Like 1

Without a doubt my fast growing surprise is my Butia odorata.  Here it is in the fall of 2020 in a 7-gal pot shortly after purchase.  Roughly 5' overall height.

IMG_20190922_191534.thumb.jpg.fd337529a726392fd2432465e1c5d9c6.jpg

And here it is after 3½ years in the ground and roughly 12' overall height with 7-gal size container for scale.

IMG_20240818_164950083_HDR.thumb.jpg.0f44e2e5e72ba2cd9bfe68de8cc9bab0.jpg 

• Like 6

Jon Sunder

2 hours ago, Fusca said:

Without a doubt my fast growing surprise is my Butia odorata.  Here it is in the fall of 2020 in a 7-gal pot shortly after purchase.  Roughly 5' overall height.

And here it is after 3½ years in the ground and roughly 12' overall height with 7-gal size container for scale.

Wow. That is nice speed for a butia. Have you watered and fertilized it well? Or is it just a happy aberration?

I have posted before about a certain Howea that I have . I have other Kentia palms around my house and they grow very well here but this particular one grew at least twice as fast as my other that I have. It was a seedling I dug up from a bunch of volunteers outside of a greenhouse where Kentia’s were grown and sold. The seedling stood out with a much thicker petiole and larger primary leaflets. I planted it very close to a column near my front door because it was so small I didn’t want anything to happen to it. I have never seen a Howea grow this fast . The other thing about this particular palm has a huge “foot” at its base. HarryIMG_0380.thumb.jpeg.3a6b456e484fd1b46f310e8881a40d17.jpeg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Ben G. said:

Wow. That is nice speed for a butia. Have you watered and fertilized it well? Or is it just a happy aberration?

Strange thing is that I have not until recently.  First two years it was in the ground the house was rented so it got no special care from the renter.  In spite of the neglect the palm thrived and took off before I got here!  I've watered it minimally and fertilized it since moving here but I've ordered some high phosphorus fertilizer (0-50-30) for it to encourage it to flower which it hasn't done yet.

Nice Howea @Harry’s Palms!

• Like 2

Jon Sunder

On 10/9/2024 at 8:36 PM, Dwarf Fan said:

Chamaedorea radicalis has been a really fast grower in my climate. 

I second that...

Oakley, California

55 Miles E-NE of San Francisco, CA

Solid zone 9, I can expect at least one night in the mid to low twenties every year.

Hot, dry summers. Cold, wet winters.

3 hours ago, Patrick said:

I second that...

From my experience,  my Wash.Robusta is one of the fastest growing palms I have so far. I didn't expect it to grow this fast but I'm not complaining at all.  This one was planted in March 2022 ,  completely defoliated twice incl. partial spear pull.  The recovery process is remarkable.  The palm is about 6 feet tall. 

20241013_161428.jpg

• Like 2

Oh, yeah, for sure. Washy's are beasts when it comes to fast growth. I just pulled a sprout in the front yard today- from somewhere lol! I was joking with another PTer the other day how the Sabal seeds, now seedlings, he gave me look too much like Washingtonias and I have to refrain from yanking them from the community pot lol! 

I love Washys, they're beautiful- especially with several meters of trunk; but I try to enjoy them in other peoples' yards.

Oakley, California

55 Miles E-NE of San Francisco, CA

Solid zone 9, I can expect at least one night in the mid to low twenties every year.

Hot, dry summers. Cold, wet winters.