• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Hurricane Milton Palm rescue

Hayley2239

Hello Palm people! Hope everyone was safe with the hurricane. One of my queen palms has been blown partially down, and I was wondering if it could be saved? Since it isn’t fully on the ground at the moment and it’s over 10years old. Any advice would be great!IMG_0367.thumb.jpeg.fe105949ffc75dc198b3a36145bd1db6.jpegIMG_0366.thumb.jpeg.18f4f2d5c0f4669f9dce4a4905abf6be.jpegIMG_0371.thumb.jpeg.16461064390a68c66d842efd59566ef2.jpeg

• Like 1

I have had one do that in a 60mph Santa Ana wind at my old house . I got some large tree stakes and drove them into the ground , two feet below the surface and at least 5-6 feet above ground and tied it up. It will take at least 4 stakes for a tree that size. Mine took a year before it was solid again. Harry

• Like 1

Could it be saved? Yes, but the question is should it? Understand that it will require a lot of work. Clearly the palm was already weaker than those around it so it was damaged by the storm. And you could possibly do more damage leading to the death of the plant. If you decide to try to save it, first you will need to right it. From the picture, it looks like it is past the halfway point from vertical. That will make it very difficult to pull it upright without pulling it to the side leading to more root damage. Also from the angle, it looks like you would have to have a vehicle in the yard to pull it up. My personal opinion is that you should just get rid of it and start over. Queen palms are cheap and grow quickly. Or you could try a different palm.

• Like 4

I agree with @Johnny Palmseed.  It’s possible that you could save it, but it might not work or it might end up weak for the next storm.  Queens are already known as one of the worst performing palms in hurricanes, and are pretty common.  Might be best to start over, or better yet, upgrade.  

• Like 2

Boy, that's in a tough spot

I don't think you can park a p/u truck with a winch in the right position to straighten it. If there's a tree out-of-sight, that could serve as an anchor point. I would strap a 2x6 to the lower surface of the palm. That way, the trunk won't be stressed whilst lifting. 

But where to anchor to?

@Hayley2239 I am ambivalent on whether you *should* straigten that one, but I have successfully straightened five B. Alfredii with similar lean angles.  They did not have 10 feet of trunk, though.  In my case I hammered two 1.5" galvanized conduit pipes about 6 feet into the ground and used a loop of 1" nylon rope on each pipe.  I'd heave from the opposite side and my wife would tighten the loop to secure it.  All 5 have since grown fine.

I am sure that my solution is not going to work for a 500-1000lb queen palm, it was at the limit of my strength on an Alfredii with *nearly* 1ft of sorta-trunk.  But with several ropes or a winch or block-and-tackle and several people pulling, you might be able to straighten it.  Whatever you do, make sure you do it while the ground is still saturated.  Once it dries out trying to straighten it will be really tough and may not work.

• Like 1

@Hayley2239 I found the pictures of my Alfredii.  Prior to straightening, the fronds were 15-20 feet tall as a size reference:

P1100221AlfrediitilthurricaneIan.thumb.JPG.ec9934a96da86ec6ac55d54564bffb5b.JPG

And here's the support posts.  I think it's an 8 foot long pipe hammered 6 feet into the ground.  

P1100261BeccariophoenixAlfrediistaked.thumb.JPG.990b97567cd878fa77650d0673d56db5.JPG

I think that palm probably would live, whether or not you straighten it.  I have seen queen palms that large transplanted completely in California, and then thrive after a considerable period of recovery.  If you can get the machinery in to straighten it, then I think you can brace it, and then it will grow enough roots to hold itself upright.  Clermont is in USDA zone 9b.  A queen palm is not a bad palm choice for you.  Did you experience winds near 70 mph in Clermont?  That should not happen very often.

Andrei W. Konradi, Burlingame, California.  Vicarious appreciator of palms in other people's gardens and in habitat

You can pull it back straight and support it with 3 post at 45 degree angles. I had three palms fall over from Hurricane John two weeks ago and this is what I did. I pulled them back up with a come-along and ropes. Have the post ready to support them once they are close to vertical. Be very careful and don’t proceed unless you feel comfortable working with heavy loads and fully understand the risk.

Here is one that was falling and I how I supported it. It’s not a queen palm but close, Syagrus botryophora.

IMG_0190.jpeg

• Like 2

18n. Hot, humid and salty coastal conditions.