• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Calamus muelleri

Cindy Adair

Perhaps like others I have not jumped to add rattans to my collections, not that they are often seen for sale.

We know the Calamoidae contain many critically important economically useful palms, some of which are endangered.

I read that the survey done in 2021 shows that C. Muelleri is classified as “of least concern” and certainly there were many just off the main paths in my visit to the Mary Caincross Reserve recently. 

I did not choose to touch any Calamus, but I did find them beautiful and interesting in their ability to fill the space available and hitch a ride on other plants to head toward sunlight perhaps?

IMG_1217.thumb.jpeg.0f6716d23eb39ba64e67c61b3cffa3d5.jpeg

IMG_1216.thumb.jpeg.13469803fa5005f48a737999f2889ef5.jpeg

• Like 2

Cindy Adair

Hi Cindy they are a lovely palm. Although quite a vicious little one at that. They are native to my area and quite common. I have looked for seeds of that particular variety in habitat for the past 30 years every chance I get and to this day no luck. There are lots of plants just no seeds. So one very rare palm in cultivation. I have one in my garden growing quite well I purchased at a market stall 30 years ago. I will keep on looking for seeds and if I find any one is yours hopefully my one set’s seeds in the future it has flowered just no seeds yet.

This one even grows well in cool climates. There’s a nice old one at the Melbourne Botanic Gardens. Nice palm for a large public garden but perhaps not for a small garden if you’ve got kids or pets. 

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.

10 hours ago, happypalms said:

Hi Cindy they are a lovely palm. Although quite a vicious little one at that. They are native to my area and quite common. I have looked for seeds of that particular variety in habitat for the past 30 years every chance I get and to this day no luck. There are lots of plants just no seeds. So one very rare palm in cultivation. I have one in my garden growing quite well I purchased at a market stall 30 years ago. I will keep on looking for seeds and if I find any one is yours hopefully my one set’s seeds in the future it has flowered just no seeds yet.

Thanks happypalms!

Cindy Adair

8 hours ago, tim_brissy_13 said:

This one even grows well in cool climates. There’s a nice old one at the Melbourne Botanic Gardens. Nice palm for a large public garden but perhaps not for a small garden if you’ve got kids or pets. 

Maybe another type of Burgler Palm for properties too big to practically fence?

Glad to know another one protected in a public garden.

• Upvote 1

Cindy Adair

8 hours ago, tim_brissy_13 said:

I have seen one grab my mates while riding in the bush on motorcycles, across the neck one big whelt mark and pain later along with a bit of torn skin it was not pretty. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Cindy Adair said:

Pretty but scary!

Just look at them and they grab you, try gardening around one they get you and the more you try and get away the worse it gets. 

1 hour ago, happypalms said:

Here’s my one in the garden hoping it will set seeds.

IMG_0541.jpeg

IMG_0542.jpeg

IMG_0544.jpeg

That’s beautiful , looks like a shade dweller. Harry

34 minutes ago, Harry’s Palms said:

That’s beautiful , looks like a shade dweller. Harry

That’s where it finishes, so deadly a true rainforest palm searching for the canopy. Bit of a Brer Rabbit thing. 
Richard 

• Like 1