• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Little encepharlatos horridus doing ok

happypalms

Germinated this one from seed I purchased. Slow in whatever it does from germinating to growing close to 3 years old. I hardly water it keeping it in the hothouse trying to  keep it dry while it’s a seedling until it gets  a bit bigger for the garden in hot dry sunny spot. It’s a special one in the collection that doesn’t get to spoilt with water.

IMG_0700.jpeg

IMG_0701.jpeg

IMG_0702.jpeg

IMG_0703.jpeg

• Like 1

Even at that size, it might grow faster if moved to full sun. I would acclimate it slowly, say over a month. 

21 hours ago, hbernstein said:

Even at that size, it might grow faster if moved to full sun. I would acclimate it slowly, say over a month. 

Thanks for the tip I was thinking of planting it in the ground in a hot sunny position. Not sure if it’s big enough to go in the ground yet. Or as you suggest move  to a sunnier spot might help it out a bit.

looks good! that's a decent growth rate for three years, comparable to my native coontie cycads which are green and from a wetter climate (presumably faster growth rate). my E horridus dwarf form is around 3 and is a little behind yours. what do you do for fert? i've only fertilized mine once with half strength palm fert.. probably should do that again since mine is in 50% perlite

Collector of native, ornithophilous, Stachytarpheta, iridescent, and blue or teal-flowering plants

On 10/18/2024 at 11:21 AM, Calosphace said:

looks good! that's a decent growth rate for three years, comparable to my native coontie cycads which are green and from a wetter climate (presumably faster growth rate). my E horridus dwarf form is around 3 and is a little behind yours. what do you do for fert? i've only fertilized mine once with half strength palm fert.. probably should do that again since mine is in 50% perlite

In the hothouse helps always hot. I have only used seaweed extract a few times. I hardly ever water it mostly gets a bit of water splash when I water the palms in there a couple of times I watered it. From what I have read on palm talk don’t wet the leaves.

• Upvote 1

Thanks! I might actually have that. I figure mine is slow because I grow it under awning for part of the year. Hot house would probably help LOL

it handled daily 1 inch of rain for two weeks but again the bottom half of the container is almost pure perlite and I only allow it to get warm wet, never cold wet. wetting the leaves definitely results in loss of blue color, my plant certainly would be showier in the Arizona desert

Collector of native, ornithophilous, Stachytarpheta, iridescent, and blue or teal-flowering plants

8 hours ago, Calosphace said:

Thanks! I might actually have that. I figure mine is slow because I grow it under awning for part of the year. Hot house would probably help LOL

it handled daily 1 inch of rain for two weeks but again the bottom half of the container is almost pure perlite and I only allow it to get warm wet, never cold wet. wetting the leaves definitely results in loss of blue color, my plant certainly would be showier in the Arizona desert

Yes dry hot conditions good drainage. You soon learn how to grow cycas species when I plant my one the hottest spot I can find will be the order of the day. Definitely not in the tropical wet shade palm garden I have. Definitely one beautiful cycas very rare in my area and exspensive.