• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palm trees and exotics in Ålesund, Norway.

Norwaypalmtrees

Hi

I am quite new to this forum, but I have been growing palm trees in Ålesund, Norway at latitude 62N for 20 years. We have a huge Trachycarpus fortunei standing about 4m tall - been in the ground over 15 years, never protected during the winters. Our winter climate is VERY MILD for the high latitude (gulf stream heated) and qualify for a us zone 8b, some places even 9a. This year I have taken it a step further and planted Washingtonia robusta, Jubaea chilensis and Phoenix canariensis in the garden too (+ a lot of other exotic plants). I will cover those palm trees for the winter, but it will only be a light cover, no boxes with extra heating or anything like that.

I have an instagram page "norwaypalmtrees" where you can see more photos. I also make youtube-videos and you can find one here:

Messenger_creation_D48B1184-864F-4887-A240-5E2527C18E9B.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 3

Just astounding!

I also benefit from the Gulf Stream, but the anomaly yearly mean temperature where you live is around 12⁰C higher, while mine is 6/7⁰C. which allows me to grow many (sub) tropical plants and palms that, otherwise, I couldn't grow.

As you already know, tropical palms and plants growing tightly side by side, grow much better and withstand cold better too. Actually, many members on this forum grow palms this way, despite they live in warm,hot climates, without freezing temperatures.

It much depends on the size of the plot, garden one has got.

Good luck.

I commend your zone pushing efforts, but you will do very well to keep the CIDP and Washingtonia alive and actually properly growing up there at 62N! The UK has the furthest established specimens from the equator and the absolute cut-off point for CIDP and Washingtonia over here is the coastal regions at 55N.

Even the sheltered western isles of Scotland that are in the direct path of the Gulf Stream and rarely get a frost, there are still no CIDP or Washies there and that is 55-58N. Well actually I know of one small CIDP in a sheltered part of western Scotland at 57N and it hasn’t grown at all in 10 years. In fact it has declined if anything. The lack of light and very short days in winter being the biggest issue I suspect.

It will be interesting to see how some of these palms fair for you. No doubt you can keep them alive and kicking along, but will they actually grow up there? As I said, the short dark days in winter with months of barely any sun will be the biggest issue at your latitude. And the prolonged cool period in general lasting from October - May. This is what stops them from growing many palms in western Scotland. Your annual mean is the highest in Norway almost at 8.1C, but still quite low. St James Park in central London is 4C warmer at 12.2C.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Dry-summer Oceanic / Warm summer Med (Csb) - 9a

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

13 hours ago, Norwaypalmtrees said:

Hi

I am quite new to this forum, but I have been growing palm trees in Ålesund, Norway at latitude 62N for 20 years. We have a huge Trachycarpus fortunei standing about 4m tall - been in the ground over 15 years, never protected during the winters. Our winter climate is VERY MILD for the high latitude (gulf stream heated) and qualify for a us zone 8b, some places even 9a. This year I have taken it a step further and planted Washingtonia robusta, Jubaea chilensis and Phoenix canariensis in the garden too (+ a lot of other exotic plants). I will cover those palm trees for the winter, but it will only be a light cover, no boxes with extra heating or anything like that.

I have an instagram page "norwaypalmtrees" where you can see more photos. I also make youtube-videos and you can find one here:

Messenger_creation_D48B1184-864F-4887-A240-5E2527C18E9B.jpeg

That’s pretty rad! I’ll be honest the first thing I think of when I hear Norway is ❄️ 

That’s my American mentality lol. Enjoy the palms!

On 10/14/2024 at 1:45 PM, UK_Palms said:

I commend your zone pushing efforts, but you will do very well to keep the CIDP and Washingtonia alive and actually properly growing up there at 62N! The UK has the furthest established specimens from the equator and the absolute cut-off point for CIDP and Washingtonia over here is the coastal regions at 55N.

Even the sheltered western isles of Scotland that are in the direct path of the Gulf Stream and rarely get a frost, there are still no CIDP or Washies there and that is 55-58N. Well actually I know of one small CIDP in a sheltered part of western Scotland at 57N and it hasn’t grown at all in 10 years. In fact it has declined if anything. The lack of light and very short days in winter being the biggest issue I suspect.

It will be interesting to see how some of these palms fair for you. No doubt you can keep them alive and kicking along, but will they actually grow up there? As I said, the short dark days in winter with months of barely any sun will be the biggest issue at your latitude. And the prolonged cool period in general lasting from October - May. This is what stops them from growing many palms in western Scotland. Your annual mean is the highest in Norway almost at 8.1C, but still quite low. St James Park in central London is 4C warmer at 12.2C.

I live in the same city myself. Compared to Scotland slightly south of us, man y of the coastal regions actually has colder summers. In my experience cidp and washintonia grows well here. Just tried in pots with the cidp, but the growth is ok.  Washibgtonia also grows ok. Actually trachys in pots are slower for me. We have long spring, summer and early autumn days with sun up to 19-20 hours in summer, which I think helps on the summer growth. This year we had a rainy summer but still had 50days og 20-30 degrees, and very many at 18-19 degrees. A little more warmth than most of coastal Scotland I guess. Enough to get some ok growth, even on Washingtonia that grow well from 12 degrees Earth temperature from what I have read.
His Trachy grew about 10 new fronds, and has stretched from 1m to 4m in 15 years. Not to bad in a northern climate, unprotected.   Ofcourse a good microclimate also matters and helps. Both mine and his gardens are in a southwestern and southern slope with sun all year. Even on the farkost day of the year. On the darkest day sunrise ril sundown is 5hours, but it changes quickly and one month later it is 7hours, and 10-11 hours in the end of february. We have a more variable terrain here which give some great microclimates. 
Spring mostly start earlier here than most of Scandinavia, and autumn are long compared to the continental parts.  Actually or highest winter temp last winter was 16 degrees celsius. Every winter we have a few weeks with highs of 10-14 degrees. We rarely see any night frost before mid november and some years as late as january. The average coldest temp each year is -6, and record cold is -10. 
Like most of the belt from 55degrees and up it doesen’t give much warmth in the period of december and january. 
October is a variable month here, this week we have highs of up to 18 degrees celsius actually. 
I also look forward to see how it Will go, but I know both cidp and washintonia have made it in sheltered locations close to the sea in Newcastle, and grows ok. Their average is about 1 degree warmer througout the year, so I hope it Will be possible in a sheltered garden with great microclimate here. But only time Will show 😀

• Like 1

Amazing your one dedicated gardener will someone give that man a dozen arenga engleri along with a handful of chamaedorea Radicalis seeds please. I would if I could send them.

That big Trachy is a brute!  Looking forward to seeing how the rest do in your climate this winter. I think the Washingtonia might be a struggle but I may be surprised.  That big Jubaea chilensis should be safe there, yes?

I would think once these all get established and maybe with some warm sunny summers you should have some stunning specimens!

Skål!