• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Butia eriospatha x Jubaea are fruiting

Alberto

Two of the three Butia eriospatha x Jubaea chilensis that my cousin was growing in her garden are fruiting. One of my palms also produced a few fruits last year, but not so many as this.  The palms I grow at home grow in an acid sandy soil and strangely grew somewhat fatter trunks and longer leaves. Her palms grow in the same town, but in deep "latossolo vermelho" , a kind of soil I tend to prefer over mine, because generally it produces good crops. The fruits are more fibrous than pure B. eriospatha and a bit less juicy, also the fruit flesh is detached from the seed (like the seed is smaller than the fruit flesh...) tending to form " gapes" in the fruit. 20241015_165748.thumb.jpg.f606837a914f516e4a45a4d159343658.jpg20241015_165827.thumb.jpg.2eaac9ad9efe9934971da2ce70e40c7c.jpg20241015_165951.thumb.jpg.1dd6be6add20c90220d533452ea70894.jpg

20241015_165812.jpg

20241015_165845.jpg

20241015_165931.jpg

20241015_170356.jpg

20241016_095105.jpg

20241016_100334.jpg

• Like 10
  • Upvote 1

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

Wow those are some fat trunked beauties. Strange that the sandy soil grows fatter trunks. Also have never heard of fruit being detached from the seed itself. Do you think the seed is viable?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeff zone 8 N.C. said:

Wow those are some fat trunked beauties. Strange that the sandy soil grows fatter trunks. Also have never heard of fruit being detached from the seed itself. Do you think the seed is viable?

I just crack one of the seeds.  Butia eriospatha seeds can have seeds of this size but generally contains 2 or 3 endosperms ( nuts) . This seeds are formed by one big endosperm, like a mini coconut. I ate the delicious nut and yep! I found a little embryo (red) at one of the seed's pores (blue)

20241016_203656.jpg

20241016_205239.jpg

• Like 2

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I have never seen the fresh seed of Jubaea, with fruit still on, but just found a video of some and it appeared the fruit on that Jubaea also was like the seed on your cousins palm, as it too looked to be a little loose from the nut itself. So I guess that and the one endosperm means Jubaea characteristics dominate in the B. eriospatha X Jubaea seed makeup? Do you agree?

• Upvote 1

I've had a similar observation recently with seed from a Jubaea x butia, with the seed being round like a Jubaea and the endosperm being one large nut, similar to a coconut.   Don't recall flesh separation, but they were very easy to clean and were not as fibrous as a Butia.

20240909_192912.thumb.jpg.acb1803b6ec3db154b9efab840f6651c.jpg

20240909_193017.thumb.jpg.e3e7c838e72663ed0d6a520c86a59d48.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jeff zone 8 N.C. said:

I have never seen the fresh seed of Jubaea, with fruit still on, but just found a video of some and it appeared the fruit on that Jubaea also was like the seed on your cousins palm, as it too looked to be a little loose from the nut itself. So I guess that and the one endosperm means Jubaea characteristics dominate in the B. eriospatha X Jubaea seed makeup? Do you agree?

Exactly. A lot of characteristics I do not recognize from my well known Butia eriospatha fruits and seeds.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Scott W said:

I've had a similar observation recently with seed from a Jubaea x butia, with the seed being round like a Jubaea and the endosperm being one large nut, similar to a coconut.   Don't recall flesh separation, but they were very easy to clean and were not as fibrous as a Butia.

In fact my B.eriospatha ( which I used to make this hybrid years ago) are from a more selected strain with bigger fruits and practically no fiber, juicy and easily cleaned seeds when the fruit is eaten.  "Wild" B. eriospatha has fibrous fruits and are also smaller.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Scott W said:

So it seems the Jubaea dominates at least the seed makeup whether it is the pollen donor or seed bearer.

21 minutes ago, Alberto said:

In fact my B.eriospatha ( which I used to make this hybrid years ago) are from a more selected strain with bigger fruits and practically no fiber, juicy and easily cleaned seeds when the fruit is eaten.  "Wild" B. eriospatha has fibrous fruits and are also smaller.

Based on where you collected your B.eriospatha "more selected strain" seed, to do your original cross, do you think that original strain was just a B. eriospatha variation or could it have been an older generation natural cross with Jubaea?

7 minutes ago, Jeff zone 8 N.C. said:

Based on where you collected your B.eriospatha "more selected strain" seed, to do your original cross, do you think that original strain was just a B. eriospatha variation or could it have been an older generation  cross with Jubaea?

No, it is a " garden selected strain" with bigger and juicier fruits.... B.eriospatha is, besides S.romanzoffiana,  one of the most cultivated palms in the southern states of Paraná, Santa Catarina and Rio Grande do Sul.  It also has fatter trunks than wild B. eriospatha. The mother plants of this hybrid were offspring of palms my mother bought, many years ago.... ( there are not old Jubaeas in cultivation in southern Brazil, at least, I' ve never seen one)

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Alberto said:

No, it is a " garden selected strain" with bigger and juicier fruits.... B.eriospatha is, besides S.romanzoffiana,  one of the most cultivated palms in the southern states of Paraná, Santa Catarina and Rio Grande do Sul.  It also has fatter trunks than wild B. eriospatha. The mother plants of this hybrid were offspring of palms my mother bought, many years ago....

So these garden selected strains (speaking of both B. eriospatha and S. romanzoffiana too) were selected for their fruit quality by different generations of peoples or by you and your family? And do they have regional names to distinguish the fruit or is it a loose collection of good fruit bearers? 

This are some of the pure B.eriospatha I used to make this hybrid. Pollen came from Dick Douglas Jubaeas

20241017_091943.jpg

20241017_091915.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

This are two of my BxJ that I planted at my place. The first one has a " Jubaea trunk". It' s gigantic!20241017_092317.thumb.jpg.fd0f5dbe95721890ef322c09c0714a39.jpg

20241017_092348.jpg

20241017_092243.jpg

20241017_092137.jpg

20241017_092153.jpg

• Like 4

This was my first post about this hybrid:   

• Like 1

Beautiful palms! Seeing the moss growing on the B.eriospatha, in your previous post then I assume the hybrids can easily deal with humidity as opposed to pure Jubaea. That is a huge trunked BxJ !

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Jeff zone 8 N.C. said:

Beautiful palms! Seeing the moss growing on the B.eriospatha, in your previous post then I assume the hybrids can easily deal with humidity as opposed to pure Jubaea. That is a huge trunked BxJ !

Yes. Butia eriospatha grows in a climate with year round rain. Here 1600 mm/ year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jeff zone 8 N.C. said:

And do they have regional names to distinguish the fruit or is it a loose collection of good fruit bearers? 

No, they haven' t variety names. As you said: a " loose collection of good fruit bearers"

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Alberto said:

I just crack one of the seeds.  Butia eriospatha seeds can have seeds of this size but generally contains 2 or 3 endosperms ( nuts) . This seeds are formed by one big endosperm, like a mini coconut. I ate the delicious nut and yep! I found a little embryo (red) at one of the seed's pores (blue)

So Alberto, now for the million dollar question....what pollinated it?  Looks like the other two hybrids are flowering as well?  Are any other Butia or Syagrus flowering nearby?