• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Watch out for scammers!

Josh76

First of all, I want to preface this thread by saying that I don't know 100% that these people are scammers, but my suspicions have been raised enough to make me post...

I started a thread last week asking for Cycas revoluta x debaoensis seeds. A Palmtalk user who has no post history sent me a message saying they had received these seeds from @MattyB and gave me an email address to contact him on. I sent an email and had some slightly strange interactions with someone called Pete who, at first, wasn't forthcoming with information about where they had sourced the seed from. I suppose in my desire to source these seeds I was willing to look past this, and I proceeded to ask for Paypal payment details. They provided them and asked me to do it as a 'Friends and Family' payment, meaning I wouldn't be covered in the case of fraud. They then gave me the email address to use for Paypal and this was yet another name. Thankfully, at this point I had the sense not to proceed, but I was very close.

I could be wrong, but just a few things here don't seem to add up and I'm concerned that I might not be the only person this has happened to. And just to reiterate, I don't believe MattyB is involved in this at all... I think scammers may have just selected a popular user to add an air of authenticity to the whole thing.

So be careful, everyone!

Oh and if anyone knows of a genuine source of C. revoluta x debaoensis then I'm still searching 😂 

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

I have received the same message a few times, different names and different emails all the time. 

• Like 1

@Josh76 @beliz1985 Yes it’s a scam. There was a red warning bar posted recently on the top of the home page regarding this. I had a similar issue and I sent a PM to the administrator. You should do the same.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I got only one response from my want to buy and it was a 0 post new user who communicated in broken English so I knew it was an obvious scam attempt. I would never deal with someone on Palm Talk that doesn’t have some type of established reputation.

Caveat Emptor 

• Like 2