• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Visit to Jim's garden, and cool-summer recommendations?

Foggy Paul

Hi all. On Saturday my wife and I visited @Jim in Los Altos's incomparable garden, about forty miles south of here. Jim's garden is absolutely amazing. His unusual/rare species are too numerous to mention (or photograph) and he is successfully growing species I could never dream of here. His winter lows are maybe a degree or two cooler than ours, but his summer highs are consistently 15°-20° higher, and he gets little fog. For example, his Rhapis excelsa looks terrific, while I just removed ours because it sulked for five years and the leaves wouldn't even go palmate. But there were a few plants in his collection which we discussed as being potentially adaptable to cool-summer climates which I would like to try. Among them are Chambeyronia macrocarpa and/or hookeri (of course) and Euterpe edulis (maybe orange crownshaft type). For reference, in addition to Rhapis, I have been unable to grow Prestoea montana and Cyphophoenix elegans which both croaked quickly, but Geonoma undata, C. onilahensis and all our Chamaedoreas are doing well. We have a small garden and can't accommodate species which get large. What do you all think? @Darold Petty?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, richnorm said:

Try Prestoea acuminata.  Amazing palm that really should be grown more in cool areas.

IMG_20241018_161018.jpg

Send seed immediately please...I'll send you a courier pigeon!

• Like 3

South Arm, Tasmania, Australia - 42° South

Mild oceanic climate, with coastal exposure.

Summer: 12°C (53°F) average min, to 21°C (70°F) average daily max. Up to 40°C (104°F max) rarely.

Winter: 6°C (43°F) average min, to 13°C (55°F) average daily max. Down to 0°C (32°F) occasionally, some light frost.

1 hour ago, Darold Petty said:

come on over, Paul, and I will give you a Chambeyronia hookeri !

Do they grow ok for you Darold?

Summer: 12°C (53°F) average min, to 21°C (70°F) average daily max. Up to 40°C (104°F max) rarely.

Winter: 6°C (43°F) average min, to 13°C (55°F) average daily max. Down to 0°C (32°F) occasionally, some light frost.

Unclear, at this writing.  I failed twice before in a very shady area.  Third try, I have a better spot with morning sun and afternoon shade.  I bought a large plant last spring.  So far the spear has doubled in length, but not opened.  A friend with much warmer summer weather here in the Bay Area, (San Rafael) told me that he gets only one frond per year, but each one is markedly larger than the previous one.

Perhaps Jim can elaborate.   The one I gave Paul just now came from Floribunda and was inside my greenhouse.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

San Francisco, California

Sounds a bit dubious then perhaps. Jim gets far more heat than me. I'm really trying to avoid the New Cal stuff, as I suspect it's  a road to ruin.

So far, I never have had positive results with New Caledonian palms.  :unsure: 

San Francisco, California

12 minutes ago, Jonathan said:

Sounds a bit dubious then perhaps. Jim gets far more heat than me. I'm really trying to avoid the New Cal stuff, as I suspect it's  a road to ruin.

Paul, First off, it was a pleasure having you two to the garden! Perhaps try a Chambeyronia in a spot that receives some sun. Maybe adjacent to a south or west facing wall. The picture below is one of my young ones this past January opening a new leaf in the winter’s cool temperatures. Most of my twelve flamethrowers produce three new fronds per year. The slower ones, 1 and half to two. It’s worth a try. 

IMG_5349.thumb.jpeg.4c2721685989d3267cfc9ba279683972.jpeg

IMG_5394.thumb.jpeg.28c4b84f1a6d873ea3950b475b7db8c8.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

2 hours ago, richnorm said:

Try Prestoea acuminata.  Amazing palm that really should be grown more in cool areas.

IMG_20241018_161018.jpg

On a more serious note Richard, is this P acuminata v acuminata the Andean subspecies? I tried and failed with v montana many years ago, but that one is from the Caribbean from memory and I suspect far less cool tolerant than v acuminata?? Do you know the provenance of your  palm? Cheers.

2 minutes ago, richnorm said:

As mentioned, I failed with var. montana and am not eager to try again...I'd love to hear of people growing this in SF. Darold has a nice one but it is very protected, more so than we can provide.

10 minutes ago, Jonathan said:

On a more serious note Richard, is this P acuminata v acuminata the Andean subspecies? I tried and failed with v montana many years ago, but that one is from the Caribbean from memory and I suspect far less cool tolerant than v acuminata?? Do you know the provenance of your  palm? Cheers.

Yeah, it's the highland form collected by Keith Boyer in the Andes. Prestoea acuminata var acuminata is what I have always known it as.  I can't grow var montana. It survives for years but it doesn't make progress due to lack of heat I think.   I sprouted a few var acuminata from NZ produced seed last year and they sailed through winter outside. There are a bunch of inflorescences coming so may have seed later next year but the rules now make it a bit hard to share.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I planted a couple of 1g hookeris in full sun a couple of years ago, and they grow at a decent (for SF) pace, although they still sun burn pretty badly. The latest frond opened at the beginning of June and stayed burn free until the recent heat wave. The next spear was 1" then and almost 20" now.  I do give them a lot of water.

image.png.e5c92945cee2e9208c89544ab079aa00.png

For other smaller palm ideas, Ravenea hildebrandtii has been easy in the shade for me and R. glauca similarly easy in full sun.

image.png.4fe1c3b5786f46b6999e9612124b0382.png

image.png.192ccfc2a95606b3e3845f75ca0098ed.png

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

I picked up @Darold Petty's hookeri today. It's a lovely little plant, about 24" high and with a salmon new leaf:

IMG_0207.thumb.JPEG.70fc15d36c7f9aa06bfe051c766462c8.JPEG

11 minutes ago, PlantMorePalms said:

I planted a couple of 1g hookeris in full sun a couple of years ago, and they grow at a decent (for SF) pace, although they still sun burn pretty badly. The latest frond opened at the beginning of June and stayed burn free until the recent heat wave. The next spear was 1" then and almost 20" now.  I do give them a lot of water.

Thanks @PlantMorePalms, that is useful and may answer my next question. I have two potential locations for this palm. One gets morning shade and afternoon sun (I know the opposite would be ideal, but we don't have that). This would be right next to our Geonoma, Ceroxylon and Rhopalostylis (the Ceroxylon is hidden behind the little rhododendron). It also has overhead protection from the neighbor's cherry tree, which Darold noted might be good for this species.

IMG_0206.thumb.JPEG.d45a7e6d8b0b3fe034dc3bdfbb7a07d8.JPEG

The second is on the other side of the yard, open to the sky and with full sun until about 4pm. Honestly I am leaning toward this location, but don't want to fry the plant. (The Acacia on the neighbor's side is a root sport which we will remove for them if they don't do it.)

IMG_0205.thumb.JPEG.1d8bc029aaa2f6f76491f6ba0caa8619.JPEG

Any thoughts would be welcome. Also, as Darold noted, this was in his unheated greenhouse. How long do you think I should let it acclimate before planting it out? Thanks, you folks are the best!!

• Like 2

If it were me I'd probably plant it in the second spot and throw a shade cloth over it. I wish I had used shade cloth in retrospect. I'm fairly confident that these will have no problem with full sun once they get more size though. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jonathan said:

Send seed immediately please...I'll send you a courier pigeon!

Join the queue! Richard’s P acuminata is just about my favourite palm posted on PT. Need to find a way around the phyto requirements!

Just to contribute to the thread - some good suggestions already Ceroxylon, G undata etc. There are heaps of Chamaedorea that would work if you can provide some shade. Parajubaea sp if you’ve got the space. Some of the highland Chrysalidocarpus should be ok too (baronii, onilahensis etc). Linospadix monostachyos, Laccospadix and Oraniopsis are underrated Aus natives that should love it there too. 

• Like 2

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.

My C. Macrocarpa , here in Southern California , is starting to open its third frond this year. Planted in full sun , it burns only a little now . It has almost 6’ of smooth trunk , over 20 years old.

Jim’s garden , from the pictures I have seen here, is fabulous.Harry

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Darold Petty said:

So far, I never have had positive results with New Caledonian palms.  :unsure: 

Same here Darold in coastal Tasmania new Caledonia palms just don't grow 

• Like 1

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

18 hours ago, PlantMorePalms said:

If it were me I'd probably plant it in the second spot and throw a shade cloth over it. I wish I had used shade cloth in retrospect. I'm fairly confident that these will have no problem with full sun once they get more size though. 

That’s what I’ll do. I ordered a 3’x6’ 50% shade cloth that will arrive tomorrow and this palm will go in the ground underneath it. Of course I shouldn’t need to leave it up for long, until next spring rolls around. Thanks everyone and especially @Darold Petty and @PlantMorePalms!!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, tim_brissy_13 said:

Just to contribute to the thread - some good suggestions already Ceroxylon, G undata etc. There are heaps of Chamaedorea that would work if you can provide some shade. Parajubaea sp if you’ve got the space. Some of the highland Chrysalidocarpus should be ok too (baronii, onilahensis etc). Linospadix monostachyos, Laccospadix and Oraniopsis are underrated Aus natives that should love it there too. 

Of these we have C. parvifrons, G. undata, C. onilahensis, and 4 kinds of Chamaedorea (probably with more to come). I’d love to track down a few L. monostachyos as they are looking great at the Strybing, a mile or so from us. Laccospadix is an interesting suggestion that I may look into. Oraniopsis may be too slow even for me 🤣 Thanks @tim_brissy_13 for the suggestions.