• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Plant ID required please

happypalms

I do remember purchasing this plant 25 years ago from a market stall. I have 3 clumps in the garden it’s not ginger or turmeric or cardamom I think or is it. I have been bamboozeld for so many years as to what it was. For the first time in 25 years it has flowered incredible it took so long to flower it was just a tube stock when I planted it now iam even more fascinated to find out what it is. Any ideas and thanks in advance.

IMG_1080.jpeg

IMG_1079.jpeg

IMG_1081.jpeg

IMG_1082.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, happypalms said:

I do remember purchasing this plant 25 years ago from a market stall. I have 3 clumps in the garden it’s not ginger or turmeric or cardamom I think or is it. I have been bamboozeld for so many years as to what it was. For the first time in 25 years it has flowered incredible it took so long to flower it was just a tube stock when I planted it now iam even more fascinated to find out what it is. Any ideas and thanks in advance.

IMG_1080.jpeg

IMG_1079.jpeg

IMG_1081.jpeg

IMG_1082.jpeg

Quite sure it is an Alpinia. Maybe zerumbet, or nutans. Mine show the same flower pattern. They have proved pretty hard for me, overcoming  even freezing temperatures.

3 minutes ago, gurugu said:

Quite sure it is an Alpinia. Maybe zerumbet, or nutans. Mine show the same flower pattern. They have proved pretty hard for me, overcoming  even freezing temperatures.

Alpinia nutens dwarf cardomon thanks for the ID interesting plant. All I knew about it was it took a long time to flower. 

It looks like Alpinia calcarata to me

"You can't see California without Marlon Brando's eyes"---SliPknot

8 hours ago, metalfan said:

It looks like Alpinia calcarata to me

Thanks I  will do a little research on that one. Strange how once it flowers it gives it secrets away to ID. But a nice garden plant a real bonus finding out it has a beautiful flower.