• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palms for 8a/8b Greenville SC

Palmerr

Hello! a Friend of mine would like some palms from me but i dont know anything hardy there besides Sabal Palmetto , Pindo, Euro, Needle, Sabal Birm Louis and Minor anything else?

57 minutes ago, Palmerr said:

Hello! a Friend of mine would like some palms from me but i dont know anything hardy there besides Sabal Palmetto , Pindo, Euro, Needle, Sabal Birm Louis and Minor anything else?

Chamaedorea radicalis and Chamaedorea microspadix.

Jon Sunder

1 hour ago, Palmerr said:

I'd be willing to try rhapis excelsa in a protected spot up there. Mine has been in the ground 4ish years and has seen teens and some nasty winter weather

28 minutes ago, Palmerr said:

Ehhhhh no sorry Not hardy enough!

You'd be surprised

Not in greenville and i mean like never is going to die to cold in at least the next 30 years no work at all no trunk cutting no cutting dead fronds i mean HARDY

Your are on the coast in a real 8b that rarely will dip below 15 RARELY or maybe 14 or upper 13 degrees but thats it

As early as 2022 it reached 8 degrees, 5 degrees 1994,  Soo i think maybe a sabal palmetto can do well in 8a/8b especially since the front faces the south maybe a mocksville type sabal or a DFW survivor palmetto would be good pindo will not have any problems trachy will be fine as heck sabal minor again it will be fine needle living its full lifetime there ca fan palm about 9 months lol

2 hours ago, Palmerr said:

Ooo just thought of fishtail palm!

I just thought "no way!". 😆 Caryota mitis gets burned below 30°F but can handle temperatures only in the mid-20's but can survive through suckers.  Caryota maxima 'Himalaya' is supposedly more cold tolerant but not as much as advertised and the others are more tropical.  Dave isn't far off with Rhapis - they can handle teens and come back from the roots when totally defoliated.  Mine did that at 9°F in February 2021 but probably not multiple times.  They aren't difficult to protect so that's an advantage in 8b.

• Like 1

Jon Sunder

Thanks for the extra info! I think what im going to do is plant caryota mitis and maxima and just keep em there maybe with some mulch. Hmmm i might do rhapis they rarely go below a extreme low of 15 or lower and the past 15 winters have had 6 instances where the minimum temp was above 20 Degrees so some years it can recover very well others like the 2 every 15 where it goes below 15 to 9 or 7 yeah it may do well there! Sabal Louis and Birmingham will do very well there in history lowest temp was -5 reached in 1899 or something and hasnt gone below zero since 1960 or so Thinking about a more cold tolerant version of sabal palmetto a DFW Survivor Would be good cause they get that 2/15 below 15 that those can do very good in. I think i have a good plan for what to plant while im there!