• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Voanioala Gerardii Forest Coconut Double Trunk

surferjr

Few have herd and less have seen!  I have a few of these freaks!  Thought you'd like to see! :)

doublecocoVG.jpg

• Like 1

Evolution Palms-Cycads-Exoticas Nursery - We ship email us at - surferjr1234@hotmail.com - tel 858-775-6822

2Tapes.jpg

check out the Tape rootssss

Evolution Palms-Cycads-Exoticas Nursery - We ship email us at - surferjr1234@hotmail.com - tel 858-775-6822

That's cool Clark.  I ordered one germinated seed from Ortanique and lucked out with a double like that.  

By the way, how deep is that pot?  I have mine in a tall 3g pot (as tall as a 5g) and the roots are already coming out the bottom.  They definitely like to send roots down.

Matt

San Diego

0.6 Acres of a south facing, gently sloped dirt pile, soon to be impenetrable jungle

East of Mount Soledad, in the biggest cold sink in San Diego County.

Zone 10a (I hope), Sunset 24

(Matt in SD @ Feb. 06 2008,01:19)

That's cool Clark.  I ordered one germinated seed from Ortanique and lucked out with a double like that.  

By the way, how deep is that pot?  I have mine in a tall 3g pot (as tall as a 5g) and the roots are already coming out the bottom.  They definitely like to send roots down.

Matt

Mine are doing the same in the same pot too ???

This is an interesting palm for several reasons. One being that there are few left in habitat, therefore seed will most likely stop being exported in the very near future. So hang on to the ones you might have.

I have one planted at my house and is doing great, but has been very slow. I plan on planting a few more this summer with that one.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Hi Jeff,

You must have great garden living in Fl.  

I was wondering how long you've had your VG? and what are you feeding it?   Also what's sun exposure?

Surf for life,

surferjr

(surferjr @ Feb. 05 2008,21:48)

2Tapes.jpg

Okay I have been called a cynic on this board before ,so here I go, yet again calling it like I see IT!

First let me say that this probably is double germination from one seed.

But  having said that, I have to call PHOTOSHOP! :D

The upper/top cotlyedonay petiole is in very sharp focus as opposed to the  blurry lower cotlyedonay petiole. Also where it goes into the ground  is out of focus, whereas the  orange cotlyedonay petiole is  extremely  crisp and in focus!

Not that there is anything wrong with photoshopping a pic ,but might have been nice to let us know! :;):

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

(gsn @ Feb. 07 2008,08:37)

2Tapes.jpg

Okay I have been called a cynic on this board before ,so here I go, yet again calling it like I see IT!

First let me say that this probably is double germination from one seed.

But  having said that, I have to call PHOTOSHOP! :D

The upper/top cotlyedonay petiole is in very sharp focus as opposed to the  blurry lower cotlyedonay petiole. Also where it goes into the ground  is out of focus, whereas the  orange cotlyedonay petiole is  extremely  crisp and in focus!

Not that there is anything wrong with photoshopping a pic ,but might have been nice to let us know! :;):

I do not believe this to be a photoshopped picture. Looks like a depth of field picture to me!

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

Palm freaks are good peeps!!!!!

(surferjr @ Feb. 06 2008,22:11)

Hi Jeff,

You must have great garden living in Fl.  

I was wondering how long you've had your VG? and what are you feeding it?   Also what's sun exposure?

Surf for life,

surferjr

Mine that's in the ground is in partial shade and seems to want more sun from what I can tell. I feed it just palm special once or twice a year. And it's in the ground now for about 3 years.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

It's definately photoshopped, but I think Clark was trying to show us the second radicle by drawing over it because it was out of focus.  No harm, no foul, repeat first down.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

i wasn't gonna enter the fray, but probably better to take a higher quality pic than to post an obviously photoshopped pic, especially when you are calling attention to the very thing that was so poorly "enhanced".  :;):

now if you would've let ME do the photoshoppin', nobody would've known!!!  :D

(MattyB @ Feb. 07 2008,12:41)

It's definately photoshopped, but I think Clark was trying to show us the second radicle by drawing over it because it was out of focus.  No harm, no foul, repeat first down.

Of course it was...trying to add some education to our world of grow and understanding....TRY AND TAKE A PIC IN A 8" DEEP HOLE!

Next time I'll take a pic of my mail box!  As there's heaps of light there! ???

:)

I will say this, I was at Clarks yesterday, saw the "twins" in question and unless he's figured out how to photoshop my eyeballs, they're real!!!  :P

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

• 2 months later...
nobody said the twins weren't real....just that the pic wasn't.

:P

here is the PROPER way to photoshop a pic:

2taps.jpg

:cool:

I have a few more!

nobody said the twins weren't real....just that the pic wasn't.

:P

here is the PROPER way to photoshop a pic:

2taps.jpg

:cool:

No...HERE'S how to Photoshop... :wacko:

HouseSnowPalm01.jpg

Tom

Bowie, Maryland, USA - USDA z7a
hardiestpalms.com

nice palms.

However I think a lot of use need to learn how to use the quote feature before we go reading tutorials on photoshop! :rolleyes:

:wub:

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

No no no no.... this a photoshop

tripple.jpg

Palms are the king of trees

Brod

Brisbane, Australia

28 latitude, sub tropical

summer average 21c min - 29c max

winter average 10c min - 21c max

extremes at my place 5c - 42c

1100 average rainfall

• 12 years later...
On 2/7/2008 at 6:36 PM, Jeff Searle said:

Mine that's in the ground is in partial shade and seems to want more sun from what I can tell. I feed it just palm special once or twice a year. And it's in the ground now for about 3 years.

Jeff

Is it still alive? I don't remember seeing it in one of your YouTube Videos. It would be really nice to see a decent sized forest coconut palm in cultivation:drool:.

There used to be a good sized specimen a few miles south of Hilo, but it’s now buried under 30’ of lava from the 2018 Kilauea eruption. 

Mine is much smaller, but doing well. Here is a recently posted photo from another thread.

Tim

B1493F89-3066-487F-8951-9BBEB6EF8F59.jpeg

• Like 6

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Lovely palm Tim! I just dug mine up as I am relocating again....they seem to move easily.  Couldn't leave it behind...

Daryl

• Upvote 1

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!